SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyvia_gw

the unkitchen - layout help?

lyvia
13 years ago

For the zoning folks, this is not a kitchen. It is a breakfast bar, installed upstairs so that on days when knees are wonky, the stairs are an option and not a necessity. With this, and a little pre-fetching help, DH can work from home upstairs for a week, if he wants too. Of course, this is not out of any real or perceived weakness, but only in the most manly of ways, because the gamer rigs (computers) and the ginormous TV are up there too. It used to be a bedroom, but will be a passageway to the new addition over the garage. I drew the dryer, but actually the clothes washer is there and the dryer on the other side of it. Part of the old room becomes a walk in closet for my 16 year old daughter. Shown are a floorplan and elevation. We are still on paper.

I left out a burner, partially for zoning, and partially to reduce fire hazards. Manly gamers, and this reportedly has nothing to do with pain meds, sometimes opt to delay checking a burner.

When we can't stand up for five minutes, it will be time to leave the house. So we are not doing wheelchair access. But there are a lot of people who can stand for five minutes who dislike stairs.

So this is for cereal and coffee, frozen chicken nuggets, and reheating leftovers. The baking cookies/bread/roast turkey kitchen is downstairs. The oven here is a Miele chef convection and microwave. Because the oven is 24 inches wide, I went with a 24 inch fridge/freezer. I picked this Miele for downstairs as well, so we only have one type to learn.

What do you think? is this enough to support daily coffee and cereal, some lunches, some teenage parties, and allow DH to feed himself? Any comments on insulating/fireproofing the oven? Or that coffeepot shelf? Thanks a lot!

oh - and color - I'm thinking white appliances, and butcher block counter to match the existing hardwood floor, and maybe mint green cabs.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz