SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pschuster_gw

sport court barn hvac--need suggestions

pschuster
10 years ago

We are building a barn in Pennsylvania which will house a sport court (think basketball, tennis, etc.) It will have a pitched roof, 35' high at the peak, 20' high at the bottom of the trusses. To protect the wood floor of this court, we will need a constant 65-70 degree temperature & humidity swings of no more than 15% (ie. about 40-55% humidity all the time). This means we will be running the hvac system at this level--and paying for it--24/7 forever.
In this context, it seemed like the additional upfront cost of geothermal would be worth it for the long-term efficiency. Dealers reported 30 EER vs. only 15 for a traditional heat pump. We also need 4-6x air exchange due to sports activity.

However, two friends who have geothermal and are knowledgable reported that while geothermal cools their house for free all summer, the cost savings in the winter have been minimal. (Which was surprising to me--we live in PA, not usually too cold here). They urged me to consider mini-splits & super high-efficiency heat pumps.

The costs of the super-efficient heat pumps (20 SEER) is $22,000 vs. only $24,000 for a 2 stage ComfortAire (30 EER) geothermal set up. Thinking costs of Mitsubishi mini-splits will be a little less, but worried they can't keep a space this big (1) warm enough & (2) circulate enough air for 4-6x exchange; & (3) regulate humidity. Also not sure where we would put the mini-split b/c can't hide it in the ceiling, as we won't be able to get to it to service it in a ceiling that high.

I would be most grateful for any guidance & input, as I'm at a standstill re: what to do.
Many thanks!

Comments (14)