SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomyj

Room Temp Balance With Radiant Heat Barrier

tomyj
14 years ago

A complete new A/C unit was installed in this house several weeks ago and two room's temperatures are not in sync with the rest of the house. One room is 6 and an adjacent one is 3 degrees hotter more than the complete remaining living area. The floor plan is what I've heard called a "mother-in-law" design with two bedrooms (the two out of sync) on one side and the master bedroom on the other side of the main part of the home.

I've tried unsuccessfully to get the installer to come up with a fix for this problem without any positive results.

He came out yesterday with two helpers and crawled all over the attic looking at the ducting they had just installed last week and then announced the house needed a spray on "reflective radiant barrier" put on the roof. My cost for this "improvement" would be $1,998.95.

I've thought about this and can't for the life of me figure out how this could possibly help balance the temperatures throughout the house. This is a long shot, but I can't see how lowering the temperature of the whole attic could cause a balance of temperatures in the house. I think the lower attic temperature would just cause the A/C to not have to work so hard, not cause anymore cooling to be routed to the two hotter rooms.

FYI - the house requires 4 tons of A/C - the outside unit is rated at that amount; however, the inside air-handler and coils are rated at 5 tons. This is supposed to increase the SEER.

Any suggestions anyone would have on this that might help me deal with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance, Tommy

Comments (2)