SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Easy egg rolls?

lpinkmountain
13 years ago

I love them and always order them when we go out for Chinese. I made them twice from scratch. The first time was a disaster because I used corn oil for the deep frying, not realizing that it foams up, so I lost the egg rolls in a boiling vat of foam and was desperately trying to fish them out before they burned! The second time I used peanut oil and they turned out good. But I am just not a deep fryer! I hate the cleanup, and waste of oil, since if I saved it to use again I'd have it around for years. Plus with my tiny kitchen and fridge I just don't have the room. But I would like to serve egg rolls more often. What are my options? Can I fry them in just a little bit of oil and just keep turning them? Can I baste them with oil and bake them? Or could I fry up a huge mess of them and then freeze? I buy the prepared ones that you can heat in the oven . . . they're just OK.

Also what are some good things to put in them? No meat for me. I think last time I made them I used tofu, onion, cabbage and bean sprouts, maybe shredded carrot. Anyone have a favorite recipe? I could adapt it using tofu if it has meat.

Comments (22)