SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottmel_gw

Newbee girl needs help buying new AC..

scottmel
15 years ago

Hope someone here can help. I currently have had several problems with my AC - the last bill was 500.00 last month and last night it went out AGAIN. Just blows warm area. It is 14 years old and part of a heat pump system so my guess is I am going to need to by a new AC unit here shortly. So much confusion on WHERE to go - I just assumed I went into Home Depot, ordered it and they installed it. Now I see people getting different quotes, etc. Is there a checklist of sorts on WHAT do to when buying such a big item? What questions do I want to ask or need to look for? I apologize if this has been asked before but I kind of need it in laymen's terms!!! Thanks so much. Melissa

Comments (73)

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You guys have all been SOOOO great and so informative. It was incredibley helpful. I spent over two hours last night researching and felt in a much better position today when I spoke with the company today and ordered my new system. I had NO idea the mismatched items were a "big deal" at all- what the heck did I know? Everyone has been FANTASTIC here and helped so much. I really appreciate it!!! My saga I THINK is over! :)

• countryboymo
    15 years ago

What did you end up choosing? I and I think others like to know the end results.

• Related Discussions

Buying a new furnace ASAP --- need help Please !

Q

Comments (5)
    Who says you need 120k Btu furnace??? IF you are replacing a 25 year old 120k Btu unit, you most likely can install an 80k Btu furnace and get the same amount of heat. Have a manual J done to size the furnace properly. The MVB is a 2-stage furnace with an ECM motor.~ 94% AFUE The MTB is a 2- stage gas valve and a conventional blower ~93% AFUE. The MCB is a single stage furnace with a conventional blower. ~92% AFUE The MVB and MCB will be more tolerant of oversizing due to the 2-stage gas valves. But then you will have an MCB that is sized properly when the other furnaces are running on "Low". Do it right, you will always get what you pay for.
    ...See More

need a new condensation pump for central AC

Q

Comments (3)
    Look at the specs for the pump you intend to buy; should have ample 'lift' (greater than 9'). You could size it by eye, as they are designed to empty when full. Take careful note of the wiring of the old unit, as some pumps have extra wires (beside power), wired to the furnace, to shut it off if the pump will not empty (safety switch). If yours is so equipped, good idea to replace with same type. If you have a high efficiency furnace (90+%), you want an acid resistant pump. V
    ...See More

Help with AC brands to buy

Q

Comments (3)
    Tiger, thank you for your advice. I didn't see it until now, so since we couldn't stay here a day without air we had to make a quick decision to have the unit replaced. We had another company come this morning...ready for this? The old unit was made in 1989! It was this old round 4 ton Amana behemoth, teeth rattling loud and I'm sure inefficient to boot. A Rheem coil was installed in 2003 (5 ton) We just had the fellows install a 5 ton Rheem to "match" . Thanks so much for the help!
    ...See More

Need help with new AC installation

Q

Comments (6)
    In the case of HVAC, Home Depot acts as a middle man. They don't sell the equipment, and sell very few of the supplies used by HVAC installers. Their role is to introduce you to a local HVAC installer, and take a percentage of the sale as their commission. This is different than buying kitchen cabinets or windows and doors. Home Depot makes money on selling the product, and you may get a better price because of their volume. But you have to deal with their contractor who may or may not be good. A good HVAC installer does not need Home Depot to act as their middle man, nor do they want Home Depot to share in their revenue. If the HVAC contractor goes out of business, then Home Depot is going to find another contractor to take his place. Their is some benefit to having Home Depot put pressure on the contractor if something goes wrong. But I am not sure it is worth it. Get some quotes directly from HVAC contractors for the same equipment.
    ...See More
  • scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Going to go over it one more time on Monday with the local HVAC company - but it's likely a Lennox setup - G71P furnace (variable capacity) and an XP-16 two stage Heat Pump. My dealer says the G71P is only $150 more than the G60V. My dealer is excellent with Lennox systems and I trust them, since installation is so important.

The only question we are really mulling over is the Heat Pump vs. standalone AC unit. We are replacing an existing Heat Pump/Furnace setup, so a Heat Pump is a "known"; however, would a standalone AC unit be a better approach? Seems like around a $1500 total *installation* savings going with the AC unit only.

Don't have the final figure, but looking at around $9000 for everything.

I know usage and geography matter - we live in western PA and tend to keep the house temp around 72 in the summer and around 68-70 (tops) in the winter.

Worth saving money going with standalone AC unit? Or keep HP?

Replacing furnace regardless - got the point in this forum on the importance of the Variable Blower and the great efficiency of newer units. (our existing stuff is 15 years old and the HP is shot - furnace is a ComfortMaker and probably only has a few more years - save install $$$ as well by doing both now)!

Thanks again for all the help!

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

I think you're making a great decision doing it all at once. You'll have a good system with a warranty to back it and won't have to worry about the 15-year-old furnace (who knows when it could break down). You'll likely save some money by doing it all at once. Best of luck. Since you're going with the variable-speed blower, ask your dealer about a VisionPRO IAQ thermostat! They are excellent at controlling humidity as they can slow down the variable-speed blower to dehumidify on demand.

• garymunson-2008
    15 years ago

countryboymo:

What kind of costs are you looking at? HRU are pretty inexpensive.

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

scottmel

You are making a wise decision by considering a complete system both inside and out.

for full disclosure, I am not a fan of Lennox HPs due to efficiency and performance numbers.

if you can post mdl and size of furnace, evap coil, and outside condenser, someone on this forum can provide the AHRI matching system numbers for you to review.

a couple of suggestions.

if you go dual fuel,I would consider dropping back to the G61v furnace simply because the G71P would be overkill with the HP. If you decide to drop dual fuel idea and go straight AC over the HP, then stick with the G71P.

Now to the condensers. I am not a fan of two stg condensers either AC or HP. For most homes/applications, they are not necessary. Look at the XP14 as a very good sgl stg model either AC or HP. It will save you some bucks.

Finally, with any system configuration, you should insist on the HW VisionPro IAQ stat.

Ryan is a Lennox expert and it would be good if he could weigh in with his advice.

BTW, pricing seems reasonable and I see Lennox has a rebate program that expires next week. I assume you aware of this.

IMO

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thx Tigerdunes - yeah, we saw the Lennox rebate - does anyone know the details if the units we are talking about qualify? The $9000K "phone rough estimate" did NOT include this rebate to our knowledge (never mentioned).

RyanHughes - interested in your view as we likely will go with a Lennox. What should I go with for the AC unit? Should I stick with a standalone AC -or- go with a Heat Pump (and if so, would that be an XP-14 or XP-16 - noting with Tigerdunes describes above)?

THANKS SO MUCH!

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

"if you can post mdl and size of furnace, evap coil, and outside condenser, someone on this forum can provide the AHRI matching system numbers for you to review."

scott/mel

post this info and someone can give you performance/ efficiency numbers if operating costs are important to you. what size outside condenser are you looking at?

IMO

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK - I hope this covers it:

Existing System (15 yrs old - original with home):

Furnace = Inter-City model# GUA080A016DIN - says "80,000 BTU IN and 64,000 Capacity BTU Out"

Heat Pump = Inter-City model# YG036G (it has "ARCOAIRE" as the label) - the label does not give much more info...and the owner's guide doesn't say much but "split system"

Coil = Inter-City model # 8Y12003

Thermostat = Honeywell T8600 Chronotherm III

Current new "leading contender system" - this is what I expect to get quoted on Monday for around $9000:

Furnace = Lennox G71P Variable-Capacity Gas Furnace

Heat Pump = Lennox XP-16

Coil = C33-3813 (guy said this might change b/c I "added" the furnace) - I asked about the CX34 - he said they can use the C33 and change the valve to save a few $$$$

Thermostat = Lennox ComfortSense 5000

If I missed anything, I can have my husband check the existing units again...Thx!

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

If your electric rates are cheap, a heat pump/gas furnace dual fuel setup can save some money in the heating season. Again I strongly suggest you look into Honeywell's VisionPRO IAQ thermostat both to control the dual fuel setup and to have the ability to dehumidify on demand and set specific humidity (you mention that you don't like humidity in the house).

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

scottmel

as said previously, I do not like Lennox HPs. I went through the AHRI HP Directory this morning and definitely your dealer's selected coil is not the best choice.

I would forget the HP altogether, stay with the G71P and substitute either the XC15(first choice) or the XC14(second choice) Lennox AC condensor. This will save you some bucks. And you must ask for the evap coil selection that provides the best AC BTU numbers, the highest EER and SEER rating. Yes, this is important and makes a difference!

And definitely ask for the HW VisionPro IAQ that has the "dehumidify on demand feature. Don't accept the Lennox stat.

What about this Ryan?-I would like to know your idea on what's best for this homeowner. I am told PA will have some healthy electric rate increases in about two years.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

The G71P is new to the market, but probably worth it for $150 over the G61V. As far as the H/P numbers go, you're right that the XP16's ratings aren't anything special. The XP19 would likely be better, but at a cost. I do think, with the original poster's concerns with humidity, 2 stage is a must along with the VisionPRO IAQ thermostat. This may enable her to set the thermsotat at a higher temperature and still be comfortable by being able to set a specific humidity level. The Lennox thermostat is just a VisionPRO TH8320 really, so I too would avoid it and go for something more sophisticated for your setup. I agree on the coil: pick a Lennox coil that gives the best performance. If you can get the sizing info for the furnace and air conditioner or heat pump, this can be found on AHRI's directory. With PA's expected rate increases, definitely want a setup that provides good efficiency (12-13 EER, 15+ SEER).

Scottmel, it's still never a bad idea to get at least one more opinion with this investment. You may find that Carrier offers a better system for what you're after--the Infinity system.

• countryboymo
    15 years ago

I have found heat pump water heaters in the 500-1,000 range depending on if you want a stand alone unit that is piped to the tank or a unit that sits on top of a regular hot water heater and there are also models that come as part of a water heater. Looking at the longevity of the hpwh and their efficiency ratings compared to the waste heat recovery unit and the initial cost and then installation which a very high number of people would need a hvac professional do and someone willing to take the time needed to get the pressures right and compensate for what pressure differentials the waste heat recovery unit was throwing into the mix because it is taking part of the latent heat out before the condenser etc etc etc.. it can be enough of a challenge to get an a/c unit or heat pump up to optimum without adding anything else into the mix. If the installer was versed on the impact the recovery unit would have on pressures that is one thing but for many around here it could offer up a challenge on the tech's part and a headache on mine.

With the heat pump water heater... here is something that gives 2-3 units of heat for each unit of electricity.. plus offers extra dehumidification and many have a high and low setting which will help cool the area they are in if it is warm climate and they are in a garage or cool climate and are in a basement. I have researched and most if not every unit I have found does not take any discharging or charging of the system and even on the retrofit units going to a regular tank can be completed by someone that is somewhat mechanically inclined.
    There is no chance of 5yrs down the road of your 10+yr warranty on the system with the waste heat recovery unit saying that something is NOT covered on warranty because of the waste heat recovery unit. I see the waste heat recovery unit as being an awesome addition to a unit down south where the heat is relentless and the snow rarely flies, with someone who is mechanically inclined enough to keep tabs on everything. With the long term warranty's available it seems like you could get into a situation like buying a new car and putting a chip in it and then taking it into the shop because it has a miss. Even if its totally unrelated to the chip the first thing the dealer will want to do is point straight at the chip.. EVEN after the chip is removed from the car. I have seen it with my own eyes when I was a mechanic and witnessed peoples warranties go out the window.

There is a place for the waste heat recovery unit in my opinion.. few year old system with an expired warranty or an older low seer setup that is owned by a tinkerer who wants to squeeze everything he can out of his unit.

I think the heat pump water heater will be the next big thing in water heating.. The only negative is the recovery time isn't as fast as other methods, but some of them are pretty impressive. I would like to meet my hot water needs with @5amps 220v or 15a 120v and get TWO+ units of heat for the price of one.

Maybe I am paranoid but I think with a brand new system with say a 10yr extended warranty.. if something happened and you had a failure on the system that is all carrier or trane whatever and someone elses piece in the middle. Throw an outside company in the mix for the extended warranty and I smell a possible headache that could cost more than the savings of the recovery unit by far.

my .02

Bob

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK - here is my quote:

Lennox G71MP-36B-070 Furnace
    Lennox XC14-036 Air Conditioner
    CX34-3813 Coil
    Merv16 Filter
    Lennox ComfortSense 5000 Thermostat

Price is $8200

- The XC-15 was about a grand more for the 'quietness'
    - Guy said the HW VisionPro IAQ was a good thermostat, but overkill for what I need - would also cost around $400 more than the ComfortSense 5000
    - My setup above will give me a 14.7 SEER

This sounds like a pretty good deal - I saved about $1500 moving away from the HP to the XC14.

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

That's a nice system, but since you want humidity control, you really want the VisionPRO IAQ since you can set your specific RH%. You can't control the humidity independent of setting the thermostat lower with the ComfortSense 5000 (which is a VisionPRO TH8320 esentially). You could probably negotiate the VisionPRO IAQ into the quote or get it at a lower price. It's not a cheap thermostat, but it's worth it in my opinion. Good system--14.7 SEER and 12.2 EER, but a couple thousand BTU's light on cooling capacity.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Had the TRANE guy out today - here is what I got:

Furnace = XV95 (Model# TUH2B080)
    A/C = XL15i (Model# 4TTX5036)
    CleanEffect Electronic Air Filter
    HW VisioPRO 8000 Thermostat
    Coil = 4TXCB036

Price = $9000

- TRANE has a rebate program starting Sept 1, so if I wait till then, I'll save $400 more
    - The $9000 includes $875 for the CleanEffects electronic filter - a good airfilter is important for my child's allergies

I've got Lennox dealer #2 coming on Thursday - but I got a rough phone estimate from #2 based on the model#'s from Lennox dealer #1. Lennox # 2 seems much lower (over two grand!). BTW - I didn't share quotes among the Lennox dealers - that's not right to do. Candidly, part of the reason I think the Lennox dealer #2 is cheaper is b/c our area's social-economic status tends to attract the higher prices. Lennox dealer #2 serves our area, but is located in the next county over. Just FYI...

Any thought on the TRANE setup?

THANKS!

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

You're certainly taking the right approach to the bidding process--good job. Did any company take the time to do a load calculation to determine sizing? You say the 3-ton unit did well cooling the 2400 sq. ft., but a load calculation is never a bad idea. Again, I do suggest you work a VisionPRO IAQ thermostat into each bid, preferably at no additional cost since you're paying top dollar for a replacement anyway. The IAQ can slow the blower down to dehumidify on demand (except on the Trane XL16i, but that's a different story), and the others cannot. Humidity control is key to indoor comfort. This may enable you to set your t-stat higher. The Trane setup is not a bad one. Another brand I suggest you give a look at is Carrier. Getting 3-4 bids for an investment like this isn't out of the ordinary.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ryan based on the two systems - do you think Trane is worth the extra 1250 (I took the air cleaner out for apples to apples comparison). Trane does give the 10 year parts and labor vs. just parts on lennox... Iguess bottom line is Trane worth the 3 week install wait due to the rebate AND worth the xtra money (aside from the visionpro IAQ as that would adapt to either system). Which set up do you recommend? You and Tiger have been a GODSEND in all this! I would make you dinner if you lived close by! :)

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another note, Ryan, my brain can't handle a carrier quote. I have reached my threshold of pain!!! I have to think either Trane or Lennox gotta do the trick. I have heard great things about both names (not so much on Carrier out here..)

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

I don't think I could justify $1250 more just for a Trane. Lennox and Trane both make quality products. Much of the HVAC equipment out there today is similar in many respects. The big question: do you feel equally comfortable with both companies and their work? The 10 year parts and labor warranty from the manufacturer could very well be accounting for (almost) half of the price difference.

• acobra427
    15 years ago

Ryan, what are your thoughts on the CleanEffects filter? Seems like a lot of pros prefer a normal 5" media filter v/s the electronic type? I ask because if scottmel was to go with the 5" media instead of the CleanEffects she may be able to knock another $500 or $600 off the Trane quote.

Just something for her to think about.

scottmel, good luck with your decision. We are lucky to have people like Ryan and Tiger to help us non-hvac people make informed decisions.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh for Lord's sake, LUCKY does not describe how I feel with Ryan and Tiger! :) They have been INCREDIBLE! I have pretty much knocked off the cleaneffects thing..that was a lot of money. I am leaning towards Ryan's thoughts in 1200 is a lot of swing when both units are nice. One thing I do ask though, Ryan didn't seem so impressed with the BTU;s on the Lennox system. Is Trane's higher? Or equal? I can't figure this one out....THANK YOU! My Lennox fellow comes over on Thursday (this is the final quote but over the phone he was 2 grand less than the other Lennox). So I PRAY on Thursday I am signing a contract and happy. If anyone knows the answer to my BTU question, I would appreciate it. Thx Mel

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

3 tons is 36,000 BTU's.

Without seeing a load calculation, I don't know how many BTU's you require, but if I were to go off just the square footage, I'd want as much of those 36,000 BTU's as I could get.

Lennox setup: 33,800 btu's
    Trane setup: 35,200 btu's

The Lennox CX34-43 will give you 34,600 BTU's.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey when I compare my quote, the difference between the two is almost the difference in BTU's! Is 1.00 per BTU upgrade worth it?? I really like both systems, Ryan, but it is going to come down to price. The Lennox guy coming Thursday already quoted over the phone but just wants to see it,etc to confirm install, etc. I REALLY REALLY liked the Trane guy in terms of knowledge etc. so if I am equally impressed with the new Lennox guy then it will come down to price which is about 1800 swing if I don't wait for the September rebate. I know you told me earlier you didn't see the benefit of paying this difference for Trane - but would it be TACKY to ask trane if they could do better on price or is simply 1800 swing between the two systems "normal sounding". I promise I won't post anymore after this until Thursday when the final quote comes in! you guys need a vacation from me but I can't call myself "newbee girl" anymore - I learned a lot! :) Oh and is this true that "the installion of this system is pretty straight forward and proper installation of this system isn't as critical as it would be if a heat pump was involved." NEITHER group said that, a neighbor did and just curious if he is right...

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Regarding the filter acobra427... I think a 4-5" pleated filter is sufficient for any system if the ductwork can handle it, but for cases where extra filtration is needed for allergies, etc., that's when you want to look into high-end filters like the CleanEffects or Lennox PureAir.

Heat pumps aren't really any more difficult to install than a gas furnace and coil. The air handler is one piece, unless you're going with a dual fuel setup with a heat pump, coil, and gas furnace.

The Trane dealer may be willing to come down in price, but the question is what corners will be cut (if any). $1800 isn't really normal sounding over a Lennox system. The equipment shouldn't judge whether a quote should be higher or not in all cases. Sometimes a Goodman bid might be higher than a Trane bid if more work is involved with the Goodman bid and the Goodman dealer just has higher prices.

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

scottmel

several observations.

1.there is a great deal of difference between the Lennox G71P and Trane XV95 furnace.

The Lennox G71P has multiple heat settings between a range of heating BTUs. I assume that the furnace "reacts" by adjusting to the heat loss. Perhaps Ryan can better explain as this is a relatively brand new model for Lennox.

The Trane furnace is simply a two stg var speed 95% eff furnace. It has a low stg and a high stage.
    TUH2B080A9V3VA 40 17.5 28 49,500 / 76,000 95.0

2.On the AC condenser,I don't think either the Lennox or Trane dealer has given you the best choice for the evap coil. This contributes to the low BTUs. Ask your salesman about this. There may be a better choice.

3.It is my opinion that for over 99% of residential homes, a good 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet MERV 10 is more than adequate for indoor air quality and protecting the evap coil and blower motor. EACs like the CleanEffects can be problematic and the homeowner needs to know the regular maintenance/cleaning frequency that is required to make these filters operate correctly. For some, this may be a task/committment that you are not willing to make. For these 4-5" filters, they can last up to one year and replacement takes a few minutes. Very easy. There is of course, the cost of a replacement filter.

4.The Trane ext warranty parts/labor is probably worth minimum $500, max $700.

5.you need a load calculation for AC cooling. I am concerned about this area.

6.For either system, I would insist on the HW VisionPro IAQ.

While I like Trane better than Lennox, I don't think the Trane system should be any more dollars. And nothing is wrong with telling the salesman.

IMO

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK - Sounds like the coil is still not resolved on my Lennox system. When Lennox # 2 shows up Thursday, I'll press him on which coil is best. Just to repeat here, this is my current proposed setup:

Lennox G71MP-36B-070 Furnace
    Lennox XC14-036 Air Conditioner
    CX34-3813 Coil
    Merv16 Filter
    Lennox ComfortSense 5000 Thermostat

What coil do you recommend to get max BTU's? I'll take your recommendation and ask him outright.

I'll also insist on the HP VisionPro IAQ for no extra charge - they all say it's overkill and I don't need it, but I'll say otherwise!

Thanks again!

Thx, SC.

• acobra427
    15 years ago

It looks like the CH33 coil gives better performance and BTUs. But I am not sure if it is applicable for her situation. Hopefully Ryan or Tiger can confirm if this is a valid option or not. I apologize if this information is incorrect.

ARI# for the CH33 coil: 1488024

Cooling Capacity (Btuh): 35000
    EER Rating (Cooling): 12.70
    SEER Rating (Cooling): 15.00

ARI# for the CX34 coil: 1488009

Cooling Capacity (Btuh): 33800
    EER Rating (Cooling): 12.20
    SEER Rating (Cooling): 14.70

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

True, but the CH33 is a horizontal coil, and I think the OP is looking at an upflow system. Also, the CH33 would require an external TXV I believe.

• acobra427
    15 years ago

See, I knew there was a reason I had no business answering! lol

Sorry. :-)

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

No problem, we all have to learn about the products someway and somehow. It's harder for Lennox coils unless you're familiar with the products since I don't see a section for indoor coils on the residential website.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK - had Lennox # 2 here today - MUCH more thorough - walked thru the house and did a Manual J first thing w/o me asking. Heat is 75,800 and Cooling is 35,900 BTU's. He used ARI and came up with:

Lennox G71MPP-60-090 Furnace
    Lennox XC-14-036 Air Conditioner
    C33-49C coil
    HW VisionPro IAQ Thermostat (dealer actually strongly recommended this w/o my asking!)

EER is 13.2 and SEER is 15.7

Total estimate is around $7500

How does this sound?

One other question - to make installation easier, he proposed moving the location of the outside A/C from the North side of the house to the East side. No problem on noise here (by garage and facing backyard), but I've read that North side is best and this would be the East side and in more sun. Is this a big deal? Otherwise, he's gotta run some bends in the copper line...

THANKS!

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also he told me the furnace and AC are TAXABLE items but labor is not. I thought anything that stayed in your house was not taxable? This is the same guy that quoted me 6200 on the phone but the price went up to 7800 see above. All that was added was a slight bump in the furnace for under 200 and the Vision Pro IAQ thing. So extra grand in labor??? Well I guess not that much since he taxes...

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok don't freak on the tax thing above. Apparently it was all rolled into one quote - no line that says "tax 6% etc" meaning this quote looks like the other quotes. Total price 7385. Just tell me the price is ok and what you think above moving the unit??? East vs. North issue above. I guess I just felt a little bait and switch maybe. Quoted 5800 - 6300 on the phone. Yes I buy the upgrades but I expected to hear more of 6800. So just not sure if this extra 500 is a big swing in the deal or if they are padding it for the additional cost of moving the unit around. Thoughts? THis is it. I am so done. Go with this NEW system or stick with Trane as listed in a post above. Trane is 800 higher but labor warranty too...

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Sounds like this dealer knows what he's doing. I assume he's using a TXV with that coil to get rated performance. That coil actually produces a few hundred BTU's less than what your load calls for. Likely not a big deal assuming the load calculation was accurate. $7500 is a reasonable price for that setup. Did he give a good look at the ductwork to ensure proper sizing and ample return and supply? It's important to have a good ductwork system to get good efficiency and delivered cooling/heating.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That load calculation was 83 does what I am getting assume reasonable for this load calculation? Is having this bigger unit a good thing vs. the original lennox set up

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK - my husband clarified for me - YES it does include the TXV value (a must have). Correct on the cooling observation Ryan - Load is 35,900 and Coil setup will deliver 35,400 - my dealer told us that up front.

He was thorough on the load calc - went thru the whole house - room sizes, window counts, and also noted the return vents. No one else did this! Even asked the direction of the morning sun, what rooms were above the ceiling, etc. and I pointed out any "new" additions since we purchased the house.

We plan on signing the deal tomorrow, so wish us luck!

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Good luck. Do realize that the system's ratings are usually at 80 degrees indoors, so each degree you set your thermostat lower, the sensible BTU capacity by a certain amount per 1000 CFM of airflow. A 3.5-ton system might be a better option for you. Bring this point up to your contractor.

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

A better way to word this to your contractor:

Taking into account that the units aren't rated at 80* indoors, and looking at the load calculation's resultant sensible and latent heat loads, will a 3-ton system really have the capacity (both sensible and latent) to satisfy the cooling needs at maximum design temp and with the thermostat set at 72*?

• ne0en
    15 years ago

Just curious... what part of US do you live in?

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

scottmel

I assume the new Lennox dealer has quoted a larger mdl furnace so that it will accept a larger coil to provide improved performance metrics on XC14 AC.

Like Ryan, I am concerned about the AC sizing. At what outside and inside design temps was the cooling load calculated?

I don't care what the outside temp is-whether it is 10 degrees Fah in the winter or 98 degrees Fah in the summer. I just want to be comfortable. Assuming the load calc for AC is correct, then you are borderline undersized and I suspect on a very hot day, you will be a very unhappy camper. If that's acceptable to you and your family, then leave things alone. For me, I would go for the 3 1/2 ton XC14 model-no problem with the HW VP IAQ stat. Of course, ductwork must be checked. I just don't want to be borderline for AC BTUs.

IMO

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I called the guy - he was very helpful - for my area (surburban Pittsburgh, PA), he used the following numbers:

Outside Temp = Heat 5 / Cool 95
    Inside Temp = Heat 70 / Cool 75

He's seems very on the ball and upfront in sharing how he calculates this stuff...he even gave me some examples of other cities and how they are different.

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Correct, but I believe you said you liked to set your thermostat at 72 degrees. I think a 3.5-ton system is a better option for you. I don't think 3 tons is going to be enough capacity at design conditions when you have your thermostat set at 72*. Ask him if he compared the sensible and latent capacity of the system SET AT 72* versus what your load calculation calls for at load conditions. Each degree lower you set your thermostat from 80*, the sensible capacity is derated.

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

scottmel

have to agree with Ryan if your intent is a setpoint of 72 degree. ask your dealer to plug that number into his cooling load calculation.

on those hot days, I would expect a three ton to be unable to maintain a 72 degree setpoint, unit would run continuously, and that your home's inside comfort would be questionable.

of course, this is your decision. a close call for those extra hot days.

And BTW, this should be a comfort decision because the cost diff for your dealer to the 3 1/2 ton model would be relatively inconsequential. He should just charge you his cost.

TD

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Better ask your contractor to review ARI's 210-240 rating conditions. 80* indoor drybulb (sensible temperature). For each degree you set your thermostat lower than this setpoint, which in your case would be 8 degrees lower, you derate the capacity. Ask your contractor to do a Manual S. He did the Manual J, but he needs to do a Manual S to pick the right equipment.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Tiger and Ryan. I have a call into the contractor and will hear back on Monday. Anyone reading this saga and needing a new AC/Furnace - I went from almost getting a HEAT PUMP installed (nothing wrong with that but apparently I am zoned in a higher electric area than the neighboring country and the rate caps come off 2010) - I almost went with the usual furnace company that has serviced my home for 12 years. Would have been a HUGE mistake. With Ryan and Tiger's guidance, I delved into the world of the unknown and learned so much and it really paid to do my homework while they held my hand. You two are FABULOUS and anyone else that helped me on this board, WOW is all i can say. So incredibly kind. Luck being with me - the unit is being replaced Tuesday!!! Will post on Monday with the contractor results. THANKS GUYS! :) Your awesome!

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

scottmel

any final decision and install?

TD

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey tiger I was just thinking of you guys and logged on to let you know the system went in last Thursday and just in time b/c we went from mild mild weather to high 80's over night. I cannot BELIEVE how big the AC UNIT is nor how quiet! I can hear my neighbor's run (little goodman unit, little compared to my monster!) but not my unit. Super quiet. I did go with the IAQ thing and not sure on it yet for me - seems to keep registering a higher than I believe normal outside temp - off by maybe 8 degrees or so and NOT in the sun. I went with the Lennox system I listed above, was unable to make any changes to my order but was assured that it was spec'ed properly and I am "lennox certified" etc. House feels GREAT! I tend to run this AC at 74 and be more than comfortable vs. the 72 I an on my old old unit. Maybe more efficient? It pushed 90 here on Saturday so it was a good test day for it. All in all I can't thank you guys enough. I cannot believe I almost just replaced my heat pump b/c that is what I had before. come to find out NO ONE else had a heat pump in my neighborhood? This forum has been a godsend. SO GRATEFUL for your time and effort guys. Melissa

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

scottmel

congrats on your new system.

yep, these high eff condensers are as big as a small car.

the only question/concern I had was the size of the AC. as long as it's cooling your home, maintaining stat setpoint of your choice, good humidity control, and not running continuously, then everything looks good.

Keep working and studying the VP IAQ.It has alot of features.

TD

• scottmel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Tiger. I read the manual on the IAQ the day it went in and one thing I did like was my existing April Air system was enabled to be hooked up to that and monitor the humidity for me automatically. So that is nice - kicks on when needed etc. depending on the humidity level I set in the house, etc. Aside from this neat feature - what do you love so much about the IAQ? I am happy to read and do all the direction following from teh book but I guess in laymen's terms WHAT specific thing does this IAQ boast that the standard wall gauge thing does not have?