SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pedalbrake37

Blower motor stopped working last night. Ducane CMPE

pedalbrake37
13 years ago

I have a 5 year old Ducane CMPE075U3B natural gas furnace. The blower has a 3-speed, 1/3 HP motor.

We use the "fan" function from the thermostat a lot to move air through the house when no heat or A/C is being called. Last night, I flipped the fan on (from the thermostat) and the blower kicked on, but a few minutes later, when my wife came home, she told me she could smell something hot. The smell was strongest in the basement, in the area of the furnace.

I could definitely tell that something was wrong with the blower from the sound of it running...it sounds as if the motor was struggling to turn the fan...that low hum that you can hear when an electric motor is loaded down. I shut down the fan, then a few minutes later, turned it back on and the fan would not spin, it would only sit there & hum.

I spent a little time searching for replacement motors last night & found a handful of possible replacements...$500-$600! Ouch!

Here's my question: I know that this motor has, at least, a start capacitor, and may have a run capacitor, as well. I haven't had a chance to pull the blower (I'll do that after church today), but how do I go about testing the capacitors to see if the problem is there or in the motor?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Pedalbrake37

Comments (7)