SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Garden lovers can you advise me?

igloochic
14 years ago

I'm afraid to post this in the garden forums because those folks are mean! I'm sure what I'm going to do is a sin but sin I must so...

I purchased a house with an amazing garden...I mean fabulous full time life's work garden. It's beautiful but I can't maintain it and I can't maintain a full time gardener (they have 2). So can you advise and critique my plan and let me know what you think?

First it's all winterizeds so we can leave it be for now. My plan is to touch nothing much (aside from the lavendar) this year and just see what grows and as it grows mark it's location with a marker. All lavendar will go because I hate the stuff...don't yell at me, I think it stinks and is a huge bee attractor but my mother loves it and it's going to all be moved to her cottage garden which will be fabulous.

But as to the rest...I know there are tulips all over, and so many other plants it's hard to figure out (aside from pictures). I love the lilacs that are trees because they're so old so of course they'll stay and the fig tree is fabulous, but the rest...I would have to weed all day and night to keep up.

I was thinking maybe of donating the plants to a garden club. Do they take stuff like that? Or just have an open garage "sale" with free plants. Do I need to put them in planters to protect them or can they be bare root and bulbs? Is the end of the year (season) the wrong time to dig them up or should I do it next (2) springs from now after I get a handle on what's there?

Any advice is welcome! I will maintain a garden always, but not such a labor intensive one and I don't want to just tear it up and throw it away.

Comments (28)