SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Can you CA gardeners help me advise my daughter? :0)

phylrae
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

My husband and I live in central New York State (BRRR), and our oldest daughter (21) got married and moved to Laguna Hills recently. She has never planted anything, but wants to grow some flowers in terra cotta pots on her apt. balcony. She would like to try some that will climb/vine upward, as well as some that she could cut for bouquets once in awhile. She says she has mostly sun with some part shade. (She DOESN'T like geraniums or petunias or begonias-only wants "fresh, cutting-type" flowers or vining, climbing types. I told her she must've caught that from me!)

She also says she'd like to grow flowers that attract wild hummingbirds that live there.

I am SO EXCITED that she has an interest in growing flowers, as I didn't learn to love flower-growing until AFTER my mom passed away...and I wish I could've shared her love of flower gardening with her when she was alive!

Anyway, I have TONS of flower seeds, but wonder if you might be able to direct me towards ones that would fit her need, esp. since I've never lived in sunny California! I want her to have success and joy in growing her first flowers. Thanks so much!

P.S. She also loves lilies, calla lilies and sunflowers. But when she told me she planted Mammoth sunflower seeds in a 6" pot, I tried not to chuckle. :0) Phyl GW Member name: Phylrae

Comments (4)