SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelellen_gw

Fava Beans.......eh?

rachelellen
13 years ago

Somehow, despite my passion for vegetables of all kinds and many years of frequenting produce markets, specialty stores and farmers markets, I have never had fava beans. So, when the Laotian family that runs the strawberry plot down the street offered some (they've been expanding their crops this year, and I try to patronize them as much as possible to keep a good thing going) I figured it was time to try them.

I looked up instructions, shelled them, blanched and peeled them. I wanted something simple, to let the flavor of the bean to speak for itself and read a number of simple recipes. I ended up sauteing them in bacon fat, with some garlic, fresh marjoram, and pepper, adding a bit of chicken stock to help them steam a little. Several recipes called to cook them only briefly, about 5 minutes, but I cooked them longer as they still seemed quite raw.

Well, I'm underwhelmed. And I noticed that my husband, who is wonderfully good about eating new things and is (almost) as enthusiastic about veggies as I am didn't exactly burn the table up in his haste to go for a second helping.

They were rather hard, the way peas can be if they're "fresh" in the pod, but were slightly overgrown and picked long enough ago to turn to starch. But I know for a fact these had been picked within a few hours. The flavor was almost too green, if you get my meaning, and really, they were an awful lot of work to prepare to end up with something that boring.

Any fava bean fans out there? Did I do something wrong or are they supposed to be like that, and I just don't care for them? Might I like them better if they were stewed in some form of liquid (a fresh tomato sauce maybe?) for a longer time, like some other large beans I have had?

Comments (7)

• jessicavanderhoff
    13 years ago

I love them-- fresh favas are my favorite bean. I usually just boil them in salt water. Maybe they were undercooked?

• rachelellen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's what I was wondering. How long do you boil them for? There are plenty of leftover(!), perhaps I can save them by cooking them some more? Are they supposed to be soft in texture like a fresh lima bean or peas?

• rachelellen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tried cooking them more. Erk. Then they were mushy and still tasted too green. Dunno if they were a bad batch or if I just can't like them.

• jessicavanderhoff
    13 years ago

I am not sure how long I cook them for. Until they seemed done?? :-P Yes, similar to a cooked lima bean in texture. The only difference I can think of is that I cook them and then squeeze them out of their hull into my mouth (I don't peel them before cooking them) but I don't know why that would matter. I bet you did get a bad batch. I have overcooked them to where they were falling apart, and they were still delicious.

• rachelellen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I somehow doubt that fava beans are big in Laos, so perhaps they are just not familiar with the proper way to grow or harvest them. Or maybe it's a soil/water thing. I will try them again some day from another source. I've noticed that while their strawberries are truly exceptional, and they have offered a number of different greens that have been terrific, their new onions are on the tough side. Sugar snap peas were wonderful, snow peas not all that great. I did notice they put in a lot more tomatoes this year than last. They were great, and apparently sold out quickly. I bought out their beefsteaks several times because I can't grow those, and I love them.

• jessicavanderhoff
    13 years ago

I have thought about growing them, but never have. I read that the purple ones are pretty but don't taste good-- were yours purple? Good tomatoes seems to more than compensate for poor favas :-P

• kframe19
    13 years ago

Probably would be better with the mailman's liver and a nice chianti.