SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdub4

Condensate drain pipe (PVC) is sweating.why?

tdub4
14 years ago

Today I replaced a portion of the condensate drain pipe on my AC in the attic. It had been clogged and was dripping water into the overflow pan and needed to be unclogged. I removed a portion of the drain that included the p-trap to ensure I got a clear clean line and I added a piece that will allow me to pour bleach in the pipe annually to avoid this in the future (it didnt have this before). It did solve the clogging problem. however I have noticed the PVC is now sweating on the outside.

A couple of points for clarity:

1) I don't know if it had done this before because I never had looked at it until now, but there is no visible water marks or damage on the floor (we've been here 10 years)

2) It isn't sweating a too much but enough to occasionally drip on to the floor in the attic - which over time...

3) We have 2 units in the attic (one for up and one for down) and the other one seemed to have a very slight (and I mean very slight) amount of condensation on the outside but not like the one I had replaced (you can visibly see the beads of condensation on the pipe)

4) We are in Texas so the attic is very hot and it has been humid lately (although the other one isn't doing it)

5) I used 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC

So - any thoughts on what it could be?

Is it common for PVC to sweat or is there something wrong?

Could I use some kind of insulation around the PVC to keep it from sweating?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (13)