SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krautman

Help on A/C unit for 2nd floor

krautman
16 years ago

I live in a Cape Cod house in central PA, 2500 sq ft, with a 2.5 ton Carrier heat pump/central A/C. However, the 2nd floor gets too hot, with temps around 78F and that is with the thermostat downstairs set to 72F with continuous fan always on in the summer. I know that a new heat pump with dual climate zones would be the way to go (and probably higher tonnage than 2.5), but unfortunately we just bought this house and the previous owners just put in this Carrier system so it is only a couple of years old. Therefore, I donÂt want to replace a brand new unit since it would seem like a waste of money, and instead install an A/C only unit just for the upstairs.

The upstairs is 900 sq ft with 3 beds and a bath. I would put the air handler in the attic and run air ducts to each room, and put one big return vent in the hallway. I would close the air ducts and return vents on the main system on the 2nd floor, and then simply open them back up for the winter. Does this sound like a good idea? I am sick of running window a/c units upstairs. The man who serviced the Carrier unit said that I shouldnÂt have to run window a/c units when I have central air, so he put both the main fan and continuous fan speeds to high (they were on low), and recommended trying air restrictors for the downstairs ducts to push more air upstairs. Kicking up the fan helped a little, but as I said it goes up to 78F without the window a/c (it would go up to 80F before the service guy turned up the fan speeds). And the central a/c unit runs quite often in this hot weather, which leads me to believe that using air restrictors on the downstairs vents would make the unit run too hard to cool the whole house. Hence, why I think a 2nd a/c unit is my best bet. Opinions?

And if this is a viable option, what a/c unit would you recommend for cooling 900 sq ft of space? I like Tranes but I heard their low end models arenÂt good. And since the upstairs is such a small space to cool, a lower end a/c unit would be the kind IÂm looking for.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (5)