SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huango

overwhelmed: help on thought of upgrading heating to geothermal?

huango
15 years ago

Hello,

I am so new to this; I'm not sure if I'm even using some of the terms/words correctly.

1. My husband and I are thinking about installing geothermal system.

2. And to pay for the electric cost of running the geo, we thought of installing solar panels.

Is this a wise/feasible idea?

3. Future plan is to renovate the kitchen/diningroom/familyroom: would love to have radiant flooring.

Could the geothermal be used for radiant flooring?

I've been reading on this forum and I'm completely overwhelmed. I hope you can help guide me in the proper direction.

We have no plans to move, so we'll probably be here for at least 25 years (barring any uncontrollable variables).

House = 32 years old colonial: 2200 sqft. Basement is not finished but we'd like to w/in 10 years.

Location = Mass (which equals very cold long winters)

Heating = oil furnace/boiler (which we just replaced 6months ago)

Well = used for our drinking/bathing, etc water, so would we have to drill a new well or can we use the same well?

Have 1 acre of land, but we also have septic, so the leaching field takes up half of that acreage.

No central A/C, but we would LOVE that, since it gets humid here in the summer.

2 adults, 2 toddlers, and 1 dog.

I don't have a clue how much BTU we use.

So many questions, don't know where to start.

With the cost of oil, we have to do something.

It cost us almost $500 a month for oil/electric this past winter (and that's w/ the house set at 68degrees, and 65 when sleeping). I can't even imagine what it'll cost this winter.

Appreciate any and all inputs.

What other info do you need to help me?

Thank you very much,

Amanda

Comments (7)