SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenfumbers4fowbers

New Bosch Nexxt 500 fill valve fails. Floodsaver pan didn't help

O. M. G.

After all the paralysis of analysis, we finally chose the Bosch Nexxt 500, then went through the same process about where and how to do the installation. We ultimately chose to build a platform about 8" high, ultra-structurally framed, and install a FloodSaver pan, with a drain to the exterior, and tile the rest of the platform.

The washer was installed in January, and although I had more vibration than I expected, I've been otherwise very happy with the machine and it's performance.

Saturday morning while I was in the shower, my husband walked by the washer, in the darkened hallway, and thought he heard water running in the laundry corner. He wasn't wearing his contact lenses, and it never occurred to him to LOOK in the washer before opening it. (He thought perhaps he was just hearing sound transmission from the shower, I guess.) About 2 gallons of water poured out the door, over the edge the platform and onto the hallway floor before he could slam it on the remaining half-full tub! The washer had been turned off all night, but I'm not in the habit of turning off the silcocks. After [swearing and] mopping up the floor, we ran a drain cycle to empty the machine. I tried power cycling it, and unplugging it for a while, but no matter what I did, if we turned the water feed on, it immediately began filling.

I called Lowes, who referred me to the nearest authorized service center, which called me back this morning. Through questions and answers about the installation (which this authorized tech has never seen), he ruled out any weird syphonic action from the drain being the cause. Now I'm waiting 4 to 5 days for a replacement fill valve to be shipped to him so he can come fix it.

It never occurred to me that this could happen in quite this way. A large part of the justification for not using my old TL in my new upstairs laundry was the fact that a front loader never has 40 gallons of water in it at a time, and that a new machine is less likely to fail than an old one.

So many people told me I didn't need the flood pan... but I never thought about the water's path missing the pan entirely! And I'm pretty freaked out thinking "what if he hadn't heard it and we'd LEFT for the day?"

Comments (20)