SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toddimt

Layout - Third times a charm?

toddimt
15 years ago

I went back to the drawing board to try an create an ideal layout utilizing rhome410's original concept. This is rhome410's original concept that I re-drew in home designer (Link to original pic is lower in this post- under my second layout post):

I really liked the concept and its something I have never seen in the tons of other kitchens in split level's around town. I also wanted to take into account bmorepanic's issue of table size and space around the table. With the fridge and oven on the middle wall, there is nothing I can do to shrink this space to gain more width in the table area and still keep the 24" counters on both sides.

I have moved things all around and arrived at the following layout.

I have not yet settled on specific base or wall cabinet sizes. Nor have I decided between pantry closet or pantry towers, etc. I will be spending the weekend taking all of the items out of the cabinets and sorting by function. From there I hope to be able to refine some more. I also still need to figure out where the microwave drawer will go.

Right now there is approx 5'6" of space between the rangetop and the Sink cabinets. I am also toying with the possibility of putting 30" cabinets on the sink wall to increase storage space as well but haven't played around with this yet in the layout.

Here are links from my previous two layout posts for reference.

Kitchen/Entire Level Renovation - Layout Help

Layout - Round2 (pic hvy)

Just to reiterate some facts:

- We are a family of 4.

- I am the main cook. My wife dabbles somewhat and would help prep (salad etc). Right now there really isn't any room for 2 people to work in the kitchen, let alone up to 4. But my daughter (7 soon to be 8) loves to help and my Son (9 soon to be 10) would get hands hands dirty as well

- Windows & Sliding doors can be moved or resized.

- The middle wall between the LR and Kitchen (currently kitchen/DR) is a bearing wall.

Comments (15)