SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

What goes well with brown pants/slacks?

Oakley
11 years ago

I need to get busy. We're going to a dinner on 12-3. About a 100 people there. It won't be dressy or anything, but I do want to look nice and I want to wear my new brown corduroy pants. I'll be seeing a lot of people I haven't seen in a long time.

I bought the pants last winter and still haven't worn them.

White and Cream match (I need a shirt/sweater) but I don't want to wear light colors..or too light.

Since my tummy is bigger than my bottom, heh heh, I want to stay away from light tops.

Throw out some colors and I'll check my closet, and if I can't find anything I'll order online ASAP.

Sorry for the badly worded post, I've only had one cup of coffee then had to take the dog to the vet to get more porcupine quills out of her mouth. YIKES!

Comments (48)

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

I think black worn with brown can be very attractive. Brown pants with a black turtleneck or crew cashmere sweater paired with brown boots or flats will look great and the black top will help hide any imperfections, lol. If possible, stay away from wearing black shoes, as the brown shoe/boot will elongate your lower body by using a monochromatic look from the waist down. If you have a brown shoe that doesn't have a squared toe, so much better.

Don't forget to accessorize (not over the top tho), drawing the eye up to your face area. A pretty scarf tied creatively, a pair of nice earrings, etc. You get the idea. Keep it simple, and you will get a casual, yet sophisticated look.

I don't wear cream, it washes me out. Black is a great go to color, and alot of people don't believe in mixing brown with black. Personally, I like the look ~ alot. Black looks good with just about anything.

Have fun!

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

With brown, I personally love (and wear) turquoise and deep rose. Those are a couple of my "go to" colors, and they seem to work beautifully with browns.

• Related Discussions

What paint color goes well with Agreeable Gray and Alabaster?

Q

Comments (4)
    I would paint walls Alabaster since your trim is all Alabaster. Your trim should be all semi-gloss alabaster, walls eggshell or matte. Even though they are the same color it will look different. That would be my first choice. Second choice I would go with BM Edgecomb Gray.
    ...See More

What color floor rug goes well with warm beige brown floor tile?

Q

Comments (4)
    Are you asking for a rug color? Or a tile to adjoin this one? If you are looking for a tile in the living area that can go next to this kitchen tile then post some photos of the spaces. If you have to use tile, I would try to find a solid light taupe that blends with the kitchen tile, but I think a better option would be to use one tile throughout all the spaces, or maybe put a hardwood in the living area.
    ...See More

"black slacks"...what is your defination??

Q

Comments (55)
    Proper professional dress was part of the curriculum or at least class discussion when my daughter was in college getting her degree. I recall her telling me about it. This was in the 90's. My kids held part time jobs from the age of 14. They learned the rules, how to dress for respective jobs and what was required to keep it. They learned through trial and error. I remember DS going to a big computer show when he was still in high school. He was invited to a "jackets for gentlemen required" affair while he was there. He had to go shopping. Came home with a bright gold jacket that made him look like a real estate guy for 21st century. LOL But he did choose a very nice belt and loafers. That was his entrance into learning how to dress for success. He became very adept at cleaning up well when required. Life skills. Sadly I see a pattern here with the poster's children and jobs and life skills in general. DS wanted to bend the rules on attendance and now DD wants to bend the rules on attire. Doesn't bode well for any good career opportunities in their futures. It's time to let them go and sink or swim. Not going to learn a thing if mom steps in to save the day.
    ...See More

What color paint goes with a brown roof and brown soffits?

Q

Comments (5)
    I would paint your house sw white duck with bm wrought iron trim and shutters. It will look beautiful with your brown roof:)
    ...See More
  • yayagal
    11 years ago

I also think black is an excellent choice and then throw on a nice jacket-sweater to hide any flaws. Here's one below that is very effective. The lines accent the body and it's very comfy, I know as I have it. Throw on some gold jewelry and you're good to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: top

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Aside from what has been mentioned: green - not a kelly green but a softer green that does not have gray undertones or a darker green like forest green. Depends on your coloring. Burgundy or wine could also look nice. If you are looking for something to hide your tummy area, definitely look for darker shades.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I've always liked corals and pale pinks with brown. A lot of websites have image maker- try on outfits type of thing- I know Boden does, and you might want to play around with color combos to see what you like.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love the suggestions. Fourkids, I have several pieces of forrest green tops. I wear a lot of green because of my eye's. lol.

I like the suggestion of black with gold accessories and brown flats. I do have some brown flats w/semi pointed toes.

• jennifer_in_kansas
    11 years ago

My friend wears her brown corduroys with a green sleeveless vest and an off-white long sleeved t-shirt, and scarf.

The vest is simliar to the LLBean Thinsulate Fitness Vest. Her's is a smidge less sporty. The outfit looks pulled together but still casual.

Jennifer

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I have a pumpkin-y twinset that I wear with brown pants. I also have an orangey-coral sweater and an apple green sweater that enter the rotation.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I always wear brown, as opposed to black (fair skin) and I like to wear robin's egg blue, teal and several other medium to dark blue/green colors (always more blue than green).

• susieq07
    11 years ago

I love a dressy cream color sweater with brown pants, gold jewelry or even a gold loose chain type belt and cream shoes or brown, a very classy look. IMO

• judithn
    11 years ago

Did you happen to see Katie Couric's show today? I caught a few minutes of it (I rarely watch daytime TV but we're having another storm today) and she was wearing a short brown skirt with a silky red blouse. It is not a combination I'd normally think of but it was very pretty and warm and looked sophisticated (at least to me).

I also like a brown skirt of slacks with a tangerine or coral top. Since the style now in clothes seems to really be all kinds of eclectic pieces that go together but don't totally match you could go many different ways with your brown pants.

Have fun!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Since the style now in clothes seems to really be all kinds of eclectic pieces that go together but don't totally match
    I am trying to do this in my wardrobe and it's hard!
    I have this one really lovely, velvet short jacket in deep inky teal that I have never worn because I couldn't find the right top.
    So, this year I was determined to get something to wear with with and lo and behold!, after looking at a bazillion images at fairly hip sites, would I have guessed that a red and orange silk polka dot blouse would be right in style. And I already have the perfect one. I'm just not sure I can do it....

• judithn
    11 years ago

bumblebeez, I know what you mean, it's been hard for me to develop the "eye" for this style and stop thinking everything has to match! The red and orange silk polka dot blouse and teal velvet jacket sounds fun.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

My casual winter wardrobe is so very simple-- and very often jeans with a turtleneck and a great jacket, scarf or wrap. I wouldnt even blink an eye wearing brown pants and a brown turtleneck with a great chunky bracelet or pendant.

If you want color and a touch of interest, I'd get a great long scarf or wrap-- or I just received the asymmetrical cape (link below) in the mail today. I love that it is light enough to wear as a layer indoors.. and the colors are great. I got the spice heather-- but I think the green is gorgeous and it would look great with brown pants and a cool leather belt.

If you don't care for that look, check out some of the other styles. I find JJill to be very forgiving of body flaws or the few extra pounds you might add/drop through the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: JJill asymmetric cape

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funky, would you believe I've never worn a scarf in my life, outside the one I wear with my coat? lol.

Right now I'm going with Work's suggestion and this weekend I'll try to find a black sweater. I have the brown flats, gold necklace and earrings.

Oh, I've also learned to roll my hair thanks to a friend! Yeehaw! lol.

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

Sounds like you're getting some great ideas (a few of which I may just have to steal). Another who is fashion challenged. Having DD who is into the fashion thing, definitely "ups" my ability somewhat.

What/how are you rolling your hair, oakley? I use a few velcro rollers after I dry my hair. Would like to hear how others use rollers, irons, etc. I only bother with the velcro when I am going out of the house, or when I am in desperate need of a haircut.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Work, I used to model locally when I was younger and I knew how to dress. Now? I'm so challenged also except I can carry off jeans and sweatshirts. lol.

I'm letting my hair grow out to a couple of inches below my shoulders. It's right below my shoulders now. I'll get long layers in a month or two.

I use hot rollers. (this is all from a friend who has the same type of hair). Use two jumbo on top middle going back, two jumbos on each side going down, then the large on the rest. The key is the jumbo size rollers.

My hair is parted on the side so I get this soft wavy curl, and a little lift at the part.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Light blue, turquoise, fuschia, pink, and red. And here's a gorgeous brown/ivory houndstooth jacket to keep you warm ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: jacket

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hi Oak, I saw some Lilla P tops greatly discounted on Sierra Trading Post (not sure they are still there). I like some of the tops because they can be dressed up or you can wear with jeans. When my back went out I got a bit of tummy and these hide it.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Here are some on STP. The sweaters were $164.00 but are discounted to $89 but if you sign p for the coupon deals before putting in your cart the price comes own to $62.95. The blouse is much less.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I want this lol and it's not my usual...pretty pretty with the top above. Was $228 and now $69 on STP. I think I need to do some shopping for me for a change.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Those are very pretty Jerri, but I think you need to shop around more. I know some of you have found fabulous deals on STP, but I think they are way overpriced, at least everything I have looked at there. I can do much better, same quality, other places.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

You could be right Bumble but I have had good luck with the quality of STP although I do only buy things with high rating reviews. Mostly though I hate going clothing shopping, I really really do. The only things I like to go to stores for are things for the home or for husbands dress clothes.

• golddust
    11 years ago

I love brown and black together. Looks very sophisticated.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've found a few black sweaters/tops but they're all cowl neck and I want my necklace to show. I did find one black sweater that I LOVE, but it had tiny silver beads on it. Just a row that went down the button line. That would't look good with gold jewelry, would it?

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

Don't think I would mix the silver beads with gold jewelry for the look you want to achieve.

I would look for a crew neck black cashmere sweater. Not anything tight, unless you're lucky and have great abs and a flat tummy. How long is the necklace that you plan to wear? Alot of stores carry the womens' cashmere, different weights, different pricepoints... Being an online shopper, I have no idea of what is available in the brick and mortar places at the moment.

Wearing a cashmere sweater is the equivalent of a light soft luxury blanket. Tried and true comfort, despite the occasional hot flash. I live in cashmere sweaters and jeans all winter. Just throw on a pretty scarf and some jewelry, and it is a very pulled together look with little effort.

Macy's carries a lightweight cashmere sweater in several styles, (see link). Full disclosure - I have a couple of these sweaters, and they are a lighter-weight cashmere. Usually Macy's waits awhile to start lowering the price on the cashmere to much closer to Christmas, but from the link, they are priced at $59 right now. Last year they were $100 at this time of year. Should you happen to have a Macy's coupon, you might be able to save more...

Here is a link that might be useful: Macy's Cashmere

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

BTW, can someone tell me what is STP? Not ringing any bells, perhaps not enough caffeine. Looks as tho I may be missing out on some good stuff.

TIA

• jb1586
    11 years ago

STP is Sierra Trading Post. Wonderful prices, great discounts if you are on their e-mailing list, and mostly excellent brands. We have gotten terrific deals on clothing, shoes, sporting goods, and running clothing. We are all runners in the family, and have gotten Brooks Adrenaline running shoes, at really great prices, just one season old usually (the basic design of the shoe never changes much). Sorry to take the thread on a tangent!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Jb1586, I used to get all my husbands dress shoes from STP I mean really beautifully made dress shoes. The pickings have been slim on that for a while now though and I think it's because there is so much more competition with online discount stores. Some of the brands were not well known in America but boy the craftsmanship was fabulous. I used to get $300 or more shoes for around a $100 (with my email deal coupons).
    I ordered the sweaters above, one in gray and the turquoise color. I also did something I never do, I ordered pants. I'm taking a bit of a gamble but the FDA French dressing jeans in gray looked nice and will go with my gray sweater. If you go to the FDJ main site first there is a little walk through check list questioner on body types, at the end it will tell you which of their styles suit you. I'm a Kylie! I love getting packages in the mail and STP ships pretty fast. I almost sprung for the necklace but think I will wear one of my usual vintage brooches.

• jb1586
    11 years ago

Jterrilyn, that necklace was beautiful! I just got two skirts from STP for around $9.00 each, that I suspected were Ann Taylor skirts (they were in the specially made category), and I was correct. I looked on the Ann Taylor site, and those skirts were retailing for $88.00! Just goes to show what the markup is for clothing; it's obscene!

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

off to check out the STP website! Thanks for clearing up the STP, had no idea, lol.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Work in progress, make sure you sign up for the email deals before you put things in your cart. The email deals vary from an additional 20% off the already discounted price up to 75% off. I got my son $50 Carhartt jeans for $14.50 with an email coupon. He is a 35 waist which is hard to find. I'm so glad they fit him like a glove because he was looking a bit scary. 34's were tight and 36 too big, he was buying 36's and looked like an outdated rapper.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Another fan of Sirra Trading Post. Just picked up a pair of Sorel boots for Aimee for dirt cheap. Bought two more pair of my favorite jeans for $13. each. They are quick to ship too.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Oh do show us golddust!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Sigh. I have never seen those prices there, they don't seem to have my sizes too much but I am going to look more!

• golddust
    11 years ago

My favorite jeans are Bootheel Kennett. I prefer the straight so I can tuck inside my boots but STP only had boot cut. I had a 35% off coupon.

Don't size up. These jeans are stretchy comfie. They must have been THE jeans in that movie, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Not kidding!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Here ya go Oak, I thought since we high jacked your post I would look for a black shirt for you. Here is a Tart Lauren top that is on sale on 6pm for I think $40. These shirts are extremely comfortable and soft, can be dressed up or down and have little folds in all the right places. This one has a bit of sophistication and a tiny bit of sex with those little slits in the sleeve. I'm thinking you would look pretty in this. I like to go a size up for a drap non - cling but everyone is different.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I have ordered from Sierra Trading Post many times, but agree that you do need to shop around, as some of their seemingly great deals aren't really all that great. They do sometimes have some rather unusual items, though - such as this sweater, which I just had to have when I saw it. It was around $70, and is very nice quality, so I was pleased with this particular purchase.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Awesome sweater, Sunny!! It totally suits you!

I have never had an issue with STP prices not being good but I only shop when I have a 35% or 40% off coupon.. sometimes they weren't quite in range for what I wanted to spend but I have never found them to be high. I guess it may just be the things I am buying.

My single favorite purchase from them was something silly that I bought on a whim. It was a carhartt henley for women. Nothing special-- but I ordered it because it was cheap ($9, i think) and I was short on "bum around" clothing. I absolutely love the shirt-- it's a great heavy weight, washes well and it has a shape that is slimming and has just a touch of feminine styling (given the style). I had thought it would be a throw-on and paint/clean kind of shirt and it's one of my favorite "fall weekend" shirts.

I also got a nice pair of sorrel boots .. but mostly I use STP to purchase christmas gifts. I got a GREAT pair of ice gloves (for mountain climbing) for my nephew at a huge discount and some really great winter accessories and sweaters for the men in my life. This year I am watching for them to add to their staub inventory -- I am hoping they have as many deals as they had last winter.

Funny aside, my bff calls it Santa's Trading Post because she shops for gifts from STP all year long.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry I haven't been around, our internet went down Sunday morning. Ugh.

I haven't had a minute of time to check my closet yet. We've had such a warm Fall that all my winter sweaters/tops are pushed way to the side. lol.

Love the tart lauren top! 3/4 length sleeves are my favorites in the winter because I know I won't get hot.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Oak, I almost bought that shirt for myself but I'm so short wasted but long legged. The shirt would be way to long for me but not long enough to be a dress. Saying that though I'm thinking about this sweater dress because it would be much longer on me than pictured and I could team it with black skinny jeans.
    I was first turned onto this brand when I bought my sons girlfriend a dress on sale on Hault or Habitat for $35 (she had done some very kind things for me). I really liked the fabric for comfort and it was nicely made. When I ordered I worried that the fabric would be polyester looking with a similar light weight flimsy but it was not. It's a Modal fabric which is made from beech trees. It has a mid-weight and is very soft with a tiny bit of give to it. Most of the Tart styles are too young for me but I do like some of the black choices. I don't buy clothes that often and like things I can multipurpose by dressing up or down.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found something in my closet I forgot I had. It's a button down black shirt, long sleeves with buttoned cuffs, and a fold back collar which makes it appear a bit elegant. It came with a black tee of the same material so I'll wear the shirt open.

I did order a new black bra though. :)

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

A black bra like this? I'm telling ya it's always the quiet ones hehehe!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That reminds me of the bras my mom used to wear! lol

• hhireno
    11 years ago

That reminds me of the bras my mom used to wear

Your Mom is Madonna?????

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hey Bumble, just wanted to tell you that you were right about the pricing on the sweaters above. Quality wise I would say the regular price should have been between $60 and $85 (about what I paid). The sale price should have been less. No way are the sweaters in a quality range of $164 regular retail as stated. Saying that though they fit short wasted me perfectly and have a casual sliming elegance about them. They also flow nicely and are made well. The fabric is very light though, really too light to call it a sweater. If I did not live in Florida I would be disappointed but would say they are perfect for mildly cool evening here. In short, I do not feel I got ripped off but I did not score the deal of the century. I would give the sweaters 4 1/2 stars out of five because they fit my needs. The gray FDJ jeans were a big hit and are the most comfortable best fitting jeans I have every owned in my life. The "find your fit" check list on the FDJ sites was perfect for picking the right jeans for body shape. My husband was oozing with complements over the gray jean gray sweater getup. I'm seriously thinking of springing for the FDJ dark wash jeans at the high regular price...even though I have never been much of a jean person I love the comfort and fit of these. At 52 I think the splurge is worth feeling sexy in jeans.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Could I be any more of a typo queen? I'm off for some more tea!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hh, more like Marilyn! lol