SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sniffdog

Can I activate GT loop pump on demand?

sniffdog
15 years ago

I have a geothermal closed loop system. The loop field pump runs continuously  24x7  even when there is no demand from the heat pumps. I originally thought that the reason for this was that the amount of energy required to get the fluid moving was a big power drain (I have a 12 ton system with 3 heat pumps, all sharing a loop field with 290 gallons of coolant in the ground loop) and that it was more energy efficient to just keep the pump running all the time. But after hearing several people tell me that this isnÂt the case, I would like to activate the pump based on demand calls from the heat pumps.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? I imagine I would need a 220V relay that would engage based on a low voltage signal coming from heat pump controller or Tstats. Can you tell me what type of relay I would need and where I can get it? Where would I tap into the heat pump to get the low voltage signaling? How would I connect the leads from all 3 heat pumps?

I am very handy with electronics, and I have tied in humidifiers into the heat pump units so I am familiar with where to find the control wires  but I need to know which control lines to tap into. I have Econar Geosource 2000 heat pumps.

Thanks

Comments (7)