SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn42_gw

Pseudo Zoning (Bryant Evolution)?

15 years ago

As described in an earlier thread I will be getting (Friday, I hope) a new system with:

Bryant 187ANA-048 2-Stage Condenser unit

Bryant CSPHP4812ATA Tin Coated Evaporator Coil with Thermostatic Expansion Valve

Bryant 315AAV048-090 2-Stage 80%AFUE rated Furnace with Variable Speed Blower

Bryant SYSTXBBUID01-B Evolution humidity controlling Thermostat

This will be servicing some of the first floor and all of the second floor. In the future we may zone the system but not initially. The second floor is often unoccupied or only has one room that is used.

My question is with the variable speed and two stages can I close the registers in some of the second floor rooms when they are not being used to avoid cooling/heating them without any negative consequences? (Literature I have seen says make sure all registers are open and not blocked or something to that effect).

I suspect a complete answer may be specific to my setup and I will definitely ask my contractor about this but I am wondering if there are any general considerations I should be aware of? There are 5 registers upstairs and 4 down. The return air grills are all upstairs (but get a lot of air flow from the first floor).

Good idea, bad idea or it just depends?

Comments (4)