SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sorka_gw

Quiet Giant whole house fan - wild claims.....

sorka
16 years ago

I'm getting ready to replace our 30" direct drive whole house fan because it's way too noisy. Looking at several brands like Tamarack which has actually been tested by HVI labs, and AirScape.

There's another one that caught my attention too. It's made by www.quietcoolfan.com and is called the quiet giant.

It's a larger version of their QC-1500 but uses to fans remotely located via 7 foot ducts to reduce the motor noise. The duct itself is 14x22". Their claim is that it is 4500 CFM and only 0.7 sones...yes that's POINT 7, not 7.

And therein lies the problem. In order to pull 4500 CFM through a 300 sqaure in opening, the velocity has to be 2100 feet/second or 24 MPH. That kind of velocity is only seen in high pressure HVAC applications and is associated with tremendous noise. My own 4500 CFM fan uses a 30 x 30 opening (900 square inches). It's air velocity is about 8 MPH. The air noise by itself on my system is about 1/2 of the entire system noise. So to have 3 times as much air velocity with the increase in sones not being linear, it just seems that the system would either be extremely loud or their not pulling the rated CFM.

The product has not been certified by any independant lab like HVI. I called quietcoolfan and asked them about the discrepancy. The person I spoke with said he didn't know how the fan was so cool and didn't seem to think he could hook me up with anyone technical that could explain it too me. I asked about certification. His response was that they sell so many fans that they don't feel they need to get it certified.

So, on the surface, it looks like a fraud. Mabye I'm wrong. If I am, maybe someone here can set me right.

Comments (3)