SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bnbsmom_gw

Estimates on Lennox--pls help a single mom with trust issues

bnbsmom
14 years ago

I've learned so much helpful stuff here, and I'm so grateful for the time committed by the experts on this forum. I have a bit of a dilemma in choosing which HVAC co. to purchase new central air/heat pump from and would appreciate any insights.

I live in NC, 1300-sq.-ft. brick ranch home. I want to replace an old central air conditioner, 2.5 ton. My furnace is generic Armstrong, purchased in 2006.

Company A (my current service provider and co. I bought oil furnace from)

Recommended this one over the alternative, below:

Lennox 14HPX (Merit) dual fuel, 2.5 ton, 14 SEER

Evap. coil Lennox CH23-41, 3-ton capacity, cased

new receptacle for condensate pump

new A/C circuit protection; size 30 amp

Lennox Touchscreen Programmable thermostat

seal and insulate existing ducts

Healthy Climate air filtration system

$5079

Alternative: Lennox XP14 (Elite) 2.5 ton, 14 SEER raises the price to $5975

Salesman said that there wasn't much difference between the two systems--mainly the XP14 has an outer cover for protection against the weather.

Company B

Lennox XC14-030 condensing unit with a CH33-31B evaporative coil; 2.5 ton; use existing ductwork with "modifications to adapt the new indoor coil"; power wiring; etc.; adjust oil nozzle size on furnace

$4,720

Alt. 1: install XP14-030 (Elite series) heat pump, add $600, including thermostat replacement

Alt. 2: install a high capacity media filter, add $150

(total with both alternatives: $5420 at most, and perhaps less depending on number of work hours to install)

Company B salesman explained everything in more detail and more clearly. When asked, said that the size of the nozzle on furnace (installed by Co. A, though I didn't tell him that) probably accounts for the fact that oil usage has not improved significantly with new furnace. Also said that current coil is producing a lot of moisture under the house, which needs to be remedied. Suggested moving furnace back a bit(don't remember why--something to do with the way the furnace connects with ducts). Finally, in a follow-up phone call, explained that he never recommends the Merit series--it's used mainly in new housing construction and rental properties. This last comment, and what I've learned from this forum, raises red flags about Co. A's pushing of the Merit.

Co. B is BBB-certified and has an A+ rating there. Co. A. is not BBB-certified but has an A rating on the site.

Full disclosure: I've used Co. A for 12 years and have often thought about looking for a new co.--negative experience with former salesman on the furnace purchase; plus this co. charges by the job for service calls; Co. B charges by the hour. I'm probably hyper-wary here because I have to make this decision myself and have no expertise on any of this. And I won't be going under the house to check their work, not that I would know what to check. So I want to make sure I do the right thing and get the most reliable equipment I can.

Co. A is now offering to meet Co. B's price; give a $250 credit on next oil bill and 12-month same-as-cash financing. The salesman also keeps saying "don't forget we've been serving you 12 years," which makes me feel like I'm somehow committing an act of betrayal if I go with Co. B.

Any thoughts on any of this would be helpful and appreciated.

Comment