SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

How Not to Look Old

I read Charla Krupp's book "How Not to Look Old" recently. Have you read this (yet)? :)

I started applying a lot of her techniques 10 years ago at 35 - updated jeans and hair, hipper clothes, less makeup.

Some of it was silly but I do see so many women wearing "mommy jeans' - my best friend unfortunately, but I learned a few things and was amused for a few hours.

Not planning any botox sessions however!

Comments (114)

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I'm likely one of the oldest here and my best advice is that good health is necessary if you want to look younger - it comes from inside, it has little to do with what you do on the outside. So healthy eating, vitamins, enough sleep, exercise, reduce stress, blah, blah, blah. Everyone knows that.

HOWEVER, fashion plays a huge part in looking and feeling good and not looking "old". Finding clothes that properly fit whatever size you are is #1. Most importantly I like to have fun with clothes. Adjusting my look periodically is more fun than staying in the same rut style-wise. I used to be pretty traditional but always admired women who wore more funky styles. I decided after about 62 that I can look any way I want. I no longer have to look professional or try to impress anyone. What's the worst thing that can happen? Well, maybe my conservative DH won't take me out if I look too weird, but I doubt it. He has little clue about women's fashions and only sees ME no matter what I am wearing. So I love faux fur, weird and wonderful bags, and expensive shoes. I no longer want to wear tall heels so love my metallic sandals with wedge heels. I have several pair of various metallics, a couple of pair of red shoes, and several other colors to go with various outfits.

I've warned my DH that I have no intention of being low maintenance anymore altho I'm pretty firmly entrenched in that rut. It's easier for me to keep skin care and clothing care simple so "easy" is always my guideline. Comfort is at the top of the list for clothing - it's easier to smile when your feet don't hurt and you're clothing fits and is comfortable.

When I was in my early 60's I was in hospital and a nurse asked me my birthdate as she thot my medical card must be wrong. She said she thot I was in my 40's. I attribute it to good genetics, pure living (LOL), and avoiding expensive cosmetics. I hope I never stop laughing at myself and the world.

I'm letting my hair grow because I never did before and it's now half way down my back. Not sure what to do with it always but I can quit combing it, I guess - I haven't brushed my hair in years. Fun to play with anyhow.

Don't be afraid to try new things, new styles, and never shop where they have "little old lady styles".

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great post luckygal!
    Sooo, let's name some shops with little old lady styles.
    In my neck of the woods Hamricks reigns supreme.
    And probably Talbots. And Sas, of course.

• Related Discussions

how to make wood look old

Q

Comments (10)
    Is this furniture or a picture frame or a board and is there any finish on the wood? I've burnt wood to make it look old. Use a propane torch and move it back and forth across the wood. When you burn the wood you're first burning out the soft Summer wood and leaves the hard Winter wood. You don't have to burn the wood a lot. Use a wire brush to remove charring. Then use a light gray stain. This is for a outdoor weathered look. If you want the wood just to look worn or well used. Round all edges and add some scraps, dents and dings. Use chains to lightly hit the wood, screws laid on their side and hit lightly with a hammer give a nice look. Then stain or paint. Billie
    ...See More

how do I give these old fitted wardrobes new look

Q

Comments (12)
    Another idea...You could paint the white sections between and around the doors a charcoal colour or black which would lift the timber and change the knobs to same colour (either charcoal or black) . Then paint the rest of the room white or a very very light grey. Definately change the carpet and bedcovers etc. Otherwise try painting the whole room white and change knobs to more modern vibe.....and see how the timber looks then
    ...See More

How to modernize an old-looking rental living room

Q

Comments (3)
    The lighter, cool grey tones are moving out in favor of warmer tones, so your rental is actually more "today" than you think. I would choose mostly light furniture in the living room area. You can layer neutral tones of grey, taupe and brown. You have plenty of brown in the cabinets, so add brown only in touches in the living area.
    ...See More

My home is a mix of old and new. How do I unify the look with paint?

Q

Comments (2)
    I think an answer would be reliant on knowing where each color change would be...also consider whether the cost of painting the rooms in question would be enough to lessen the investment in new baseboards where needed
    ...See More
  • THOR, Son of ODIN
    14 years ago

Hhireno: ummm....I guess I can admit it since you brought it up but I already wear a scarf in the house! Great minds think alike. I guess the other options are moving to a warmer climate, or putting on a thick layer of insulating fat (NOT!).

Luckygal: I've warned my DH that I have no intention of being low maintenance anymore... LOL! I didn't get a shoe habit until after 40. Designer eyeglass frames will be next.

-Lena

• kitchenwitch
    14 years ago

I get a lot of my jeans at JC Penny -- the one near me has a really good jeans department, but I really don't shop there for anything else. I get my Levi's there (boot cut, dark rinse), and I just got a pair of super skinny dark jeans from their store brand -- a.n.a. -- they're more like leggings and fit into my tall boots without bagging. They were only $20.00!

I saw the Oprah show too. They took these women who were obviously wearing their comfort shoes for sightseeing or shopping and put them into very high heels -- of course they looked better! But not very practical. They would have done a better job if they had found low heeled shoes or boots that weren't frumpy -- that's what I think most of us are looking for.

I'm over 50 and jeans and boots is how I roll LOL

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

kitchenwitch - I also bought those a.n.a. skinny jeans. I just don't have boots to wear with them yet. They fit perfectly and stretch enough to be comfortable, so for $20 I couldn't pass them up.

• golddust
    14 years ago

Hey! I also bought those a.n.a. jeans/leggings! I wear them with a tunic and boots. I love them! They stretch great but even the size small is a bit baggy on me in the waist so I just cover up the waist part with a tunic. Waist bands that are baggy can add weight.

I turned 55 yesterday. Oy!

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Happy (belated!) birthday, Golddust!

OK, so I just stopped by the library and picked up Krupp's book, and had a bit of time to flip through it during lunch. The before/after photos are quite convincing -- Sharon Stone looks like a completely different person in hers! -- and I am sure there are some tips I'll want to implement. However ... there's a small part of me that's a bit put off by the "do's and don'ts", as I start to wonder how much homogenization the author expects. What if we all grow our hair longer? (Oh, but not much longer than shoulder length. Mustn't have that - according to Krupp!) What if we all stop wearing red lipstick in favor of glossy pink? What if we all throw out our embellished jeans and wear only a certain style?

I realize I'm probably contradicting myself when I say that on the one hand, I feel that women who want to look as young as possible would be wise to follow some of these tips. On the other hand, I like the fact that getting older allows us some freedom of expression that we might not have had in our younger years. (Some of us stop caring what others might "think" of our dangly earrings or our nail art. Or our tattoos. ;-)) I guess it's about striking a balance. And in knowing that we can do certain things to retain a more youthful appearance, but we're perfectly ok if we choose to present ourselves in a slightly "different" manner.

• kitchenwitch
    14 years ago

terriks & golddust -- so funny that we got the same jeans -- aren't they great? Yesterday I wore them with a long sweater and really high heeled studded clogs and felt pretty spiffy, so you don't have to always wear them with boots.

happy birthday golddust -- and I wish my jeans were loose in the waist! Have you ever tried to get your jeans tailored? A few darts in the back can make a big difference.

• golddust
    14 years ago

Thanks! I sew and am thinking of taking a few darts in the waist area. I wore them with my Ecco brand ballet flats and they looked cute too!

My DD said I am looking very cute these days with my new fall wardrobe. LOL!
    I wish I could put photos inside my posts from Zappos but I can't figure it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: My new Ecco flats

• golddust
    14 years ago

These boots weigh nothing and are comfy right out of the box. They look cute with our a.n.a. leggings!

Wish I knew how to plop in a photo. Sorry about the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: My new boots

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Cute boots golddust. I'm afraid that I need something with a lower price tag though.

• polly929
    14 years ago

Cut bangs if you don't already have them.

I recently cut bangs, I'm 34 and I was mistaken for an 8th grader at my daughter's school the other day! I can't tell you how many people have told me how much younger it makes me look.

• natal
    14 years ago

I can't tell you how many people have told me how much younger it makes me look.

ROTFLOL! You ARE young! Wait another 20 years, lol.

• polly929
    14 years ago

Thanks natal :) But come on, getting mistaken for an eighth grader at age 34, you've go to admit it's a huge difference and all I did was cut bangs and dye my hair to cover all the gray :)

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    14 years ago

Oh yeah, let me tell you about my new friend Miss L'Oreal, LOL.

Oprah: A+ Hair color at home

- Lena

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Here is a nice collection of makeovers done on the Today Show. Click through 344 pics to see the 'before and afters'. Then on the sidebar on the right, click for video excerpts from the show with more explanation of the makeovers.

Some of these makeovers just did not take into consideration the lifestyle or individual personality of the women. Some of them who said that they "don't even own a dress" or "never wear heels", had jobs like zookeeper, firefighter, electrician, ect. They looked silly in plunging necklines with spaghetti straps and stilettos and they looked like they felt silly dressed like that. Getting a makeover look that makes you feel uncomfortable, either physically (stilettos), or emotionally (revealing too much skin), is defeating the purpose. The woman in the link below couldn't even walk gracefully in the heels. A woman who dresses casual everyday for their job can't do a Jekyll and Hyde when they want to dress up for an occasion.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/ns/today-today_fashion_and_beauty/?pg=8#tdy_ambush_makeovers

Almost all of the makeovers had the women get rid of their glasses. Heeellllloooooooooo. People wear glasses to see, not because they are stupid, and not every body can wear contacts for their eye condition, or even wishes to. Not everyone can wear heels all day either. Some of the new hairstyles were obviously going to be very high maintenance if they women intended to keep the look.

There were some constants though..........Get rid of the gray...........Get an updated hairstyle..........Find what colors (clothing and make-up) look better with older skin which tends to go pale..........No 'mom jeans'...Ever.

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/ns/today-today_fashion_and_beauty/

Here is a link that might be useful: Makeovers

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Ugh! I went to JCP to return rugs and clip rings today, tried on some jeans and couldn't find *anything* that fit!

The St John's bay 10 Short bootcut fit in the front (my pooch), but gapped in the back (and the flared legs looked like elephant legs on me, they were so loose in the thighs and knees and just got bigger below the knee). Does anybody know what my particular problem with the *backs* of waistbands is and what to look for to avoid it? DD has the same problem and she's not even 6!

The a.n.a "modern cut" bootcuts they had on clearance (I can't wear skinny jeans b/c I'm not skinny) were very low rise - they fit, the legs were tighter and looked nice, but my bikini briefs (lowest I'll go - no thongs on feet or anywhere else for me!) showed in the back even when I was standing up, I didn't dare squat or bend over!

The denim also seems to be very thin and flimsy - I'd wear holes in it in no time. Anybody know where you can buy *sturdy* stylish jeans? I'm wearing some that are probably "mom jeans" right now - Geoffery Beene straight legs with as high a waist as I can stand w/o them being on my ribs. Bought them at a thrift shop a few years ago - at least they haven't worn out.

Guess I should head to Kmart?

• golddust
    14 years ago

Did you check out Levi brand and Lee? JCP carries them and Macys too. Course my little JCP here in town is a small and sad example of a JCP.

I bought a pair of Levi jeans that are both sturdy and stretchy. Grab a tunic length top and try it on with a pair of skinny jeans! You may be amazed at how flattering they are on you! The trick is the length of the top!

We *must* get you out of your mom jeans... LOL! Do not give up! Go to Kmart, for sure, but if they don't have anything there, you simply must keep trying! Try things you wouldn't normally try on! There are some cute styles out right now.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ajsmamma, I find better clothing choices at department stores on sale (and with a coupon : Macy's, Belk)
    than I do at the lower end stores.
    I recently bought several beautiful tops at Dillard's each under twenty, but original prices much, much higher.
    I would rather have a pair of pants that retail for $90 on sale for $30 than a pair regularly priced $25 ones. The quality and fit is almost always better.
    Macy's has good sales and I also really like Eddie Bauer which also has frequent sales.

I don't shop that much and can still find good deals but I do watch the paper for sales and shop end of season all the time.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Our JCP is small (one floor) and sad too. No Macy's - that's in a mall near Hartford (along with bigger JCP). We have a decrepit Kmart, a new Target and two Walmarts around, plus a Marshalls and a couple of TJ Maxx. Oh, and a Tractor Supply, and of course Goodwill. We're going across the state to LL Bean this w/e to get boots for the kids since theirs are $35 and better quality than Walmart's $30 ones. I could order them but I want them to try them on (getting DS a barn jacket too).

My sister got me wearing boot cut about 3-4 years ago and I really like being able to put my socks on *after* my jeans LOL plus I think they make me look taller (I'm 5' 2.5" as of last year but afraid I'm shrinking - I used to be close enough to 5'4" to put it on my DL). Unfortunately, a tunic top makes me look short and squat since I'm a 38D (size 14-16) on top right now - just a couple years ago I was 36C (down from 40DD when I was bfing - sorry if TMI). That's the 1st place I gain and the last I lose. Do they make fitted tunics LOL?

I wear a lot of fitted Tshirts and turtlenecks (not tucked in, but at least close-fitting to hips), sometimes fleece half-zip things over the T-necks (those aren't close-fitting, but at least are warm and hit around the hips so don't hang out under my coat - though I may look like that woman in the red and black "before" picture with them big enough to fit in the bust *and* hitting me at the next-widest point).

No Dillard's (p/o Macy's chain), I've never heard of Belk - but we're going on vacation to Orlando next week, there's a big outlet mall there - any suggestions for stores down there?

• hhireno
    14 years ago

I find better clothing choices at department stores on sale (and with a coupon : Macy's, Belk) than I do at the lower end stores.

Yes, of course that's true. I only mentioned Kmart because the jeans were Lee Riders, a brand someone further up mentioned and because there are Kmart stores are all over the country. They also carry Levi's and a few other lower end brands so it might have plenty of sizes and styles to offer.

I'm not very familiar with Orlando but since it's a tourist mecca I'm sure it will have many stores & outlets. But do you want to spend vacation time shopping?

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

We get too tired out spending every day in theme parks, so we schedule a few days to just hang out by the pool or whatever. My parents are going down too so I can take a day to go shopping with my mom or my mom can take the kids so DH and I can go shopping. We bought some things down there years ago (stores we didn't have where we were living then - here is even more isolated) when we went without the kids, but I don't know what stores are there now.

Guess I'll head off to Kmart now - I have some Lee, they used to fit pretty well (just went through my "fat" clothes in the attic, I have 3 pairs of size 12 jeans that fit but they're tapered legs - Chic, Lee, and Levis - so they will be the new "working on the house" jeans to replace the ripped ones I've been wearing). I have a pair of Levis low rise size 8, they fit out of the dryer but as they loosen throughout the day they fall off (Old Navy do too) since they already sit at my widest point, there's nothing to hold them up once they start to stretch! I need to find something that sits low enough not to hit my ribs and high enough to stay up! Carrying an overstuffed wallet in my back pocket doesn't help, but I tend to leave purses behind (which is why I can never find my cell phone or my keys - have to carry them in coat pocket, then I forget which coat I wore last!).

Any pointers on cut to look for to avoid the gapping in the back? I've always had a problem with that, DD does too and she's only 6! Must be something about our hips or butt shape? Levis makes so many cuts, I'm sure I can find something.

Tommy, Liz, and Beene are ones that are fitting me now - the Beene and Liz are straight leg though, so I'm down to one pair of Tommy bootcuts that don't fall off. I bought those at thrift too, so don't know where to buy new?

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Hey, speaking of jeans - has anyone tried the ones from Coldwater Creek? I received one of their (umpteen) catalogs in the mail the other day, and they've got some really cute jeans that look like they're cut in a hip, modern way (does it make me sound old to use the words "hip" and "modern"? LOL!), but don't ride so low that your coochie's on display. ;-)

• kitchenwitch
    14 years ago

Here's the thing about finding jeans that fit -- you have to try on A LOT of them. I do, anyway. Jeans are the most fitted piece of clothing you'll own. There ain't no skimming over spots when you wear jeans. The whole point of them is to fit right in all the right places. Thank goodness for stretch!

When I'm shopping for a new pair, I try on different brands, different cuts, different sizes. I really have to be in the mood and have some time to do it -- no husbands or kids allowed! It can be very frustrating, but when you find something that fits, you can then buy that brand and style as long as they keep making them. There are curvy cuts, relaxed fits, low rise, mid-rise, short, long, boot cut, straight, flare, patch pockets, flap pockets, etc. and some will just work better than others. And then find that cut & size in the color wash you want, jeeze louise, it can take forever!

And sometimes you get lucky and find a pair that are not expensive and look fab, but other times you just have to spend the big bucks if they look good and fit well, and it will be worth it.

If you have a small waistline and most styles gap in the back, get the pair that fits your butt, hips and thighs, and sew a few darts in the waistband or go to the tailor. Not everything fits everyone perfectly right off the rack. Think how many times someone gets their bridal gown altered to wear one day only. You'll wear good jeans a whole lot more than that.

Jean (that's my name!)

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Jean - is *that* why they gap in the back? A small waistline LOL - I swear I have *no* waistline since having DD! I guess it must be there somewhere b/t the wallet/butt and the spread-out ribs!

I *hate* clothes shopping! I *really* hate trying on clothes, always have. It was always hard to find jeans that didn't gap in the back, and forget about dresses when your top is 2-3 sizes bigger than your bottom (and the fact that I'm short just makes it harder). I used to wonder where exotic dancers bought their clothes until I realized that I probably didn't want to dress like one (even "off-duty") anyway!

Now I've got the "pooch" going on - and while it always used to be firm (except right after giving birth), now it's getting saggy! I *did* look into the YMCA, DH hasn't said yes or no to $92/month but I'm going to wait about a month anyway - the new session will be starting early 2010 and you have to be a member to get first shot at swim classes, dance classes, etc. I hope he lets me get a Family membership and not just the two Youth memberships we got for the kids last year.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have not tried the Coldwater Creek jeans but do get all their catalogs and some of those jeans do look nice. But CC's quality is so hit or miss and everything is marked up heavily in order to mark down..
    Occasionally I get into one of their stores and like to check things out in person then wait for the big sales - everything 40%-50% (internet) off that sort of thing.
    I have bought some really beautiful items from them and some real junk so I'm hesitant to try anything without free shipping and returns, at a minimum.
    Eddie Bauer has similar types of jeans but I know they have good quality.

• harriethomeowner
    14 years ago

Has anyone tried Lands End? They have a ton of different styles and sizes.

ajsmamma, my mother had sort of the same shape (though she was tall). She generally wore elastic-waist knit pants, though eventually got into buying jeans, but she bought them very loose. Have you tried those jeans with the elastic on the back or side waist? That might get rid of the gap.

And btw, what's wrong with "mom jeans" anyway? Why should mature women struggle to wear pants that are uncomfortable and either falling down or too tight just because it's been decreed that jeans that fit around the waist are "out"? It's another anti-woman conspiracy, I tell you. :)

• hhireno
    14 years ago

1) Today a lady at the gym told me that tonight our local Coldwater Creek store was having a special appreciation night for regulars (I have never been in a CC store) with music & snacks and everything will be 35% off. Dunno know if this is just "my" store or chain wide, but it might be worth investigating. And since what we have learned in this thread, that great jeans are very hard to find, it proves we need to keep an open mind and shop in places we might not usually consider.

2)Harriet, I think what's wrong with Mom Jeans are the following flaws: often pleated - which adds pounds visually; always or often tapered - which makes you look like a wedge of pie with a wider waist and narrow ankles; often faded - a dark wash is slimming; often worn out looking - and not in that overpriced, hip kinda way but in a way that shows you've been wearing them for many, many years because you're too busy buying clothes for your kids and not yourself.

3) Jean the Good Kitchenwitch is correct: you'll need to devote yourself (this is a collective term, not just ajsmama)to the hunt. No kids or extraneous people, just one person who is willing to go fetch other sizes, don't go hungry or thirsty but don't shop when too full, try every brand, multiple styles and multiple sizes. Don't worry about the label - find your jeans bliss regardless of the size or brand.

4) When you find your perfect brand - Buy at least 2 pair, one for heels and one for flats. Buy in different washes or colors, if they have them. Maybe even buy a pair to squirrel away because you know once you find your perfect pair they will be discontinued or modified in some way and you'll kick yourself for not stocking up. They always discontinue the favorite things that are hard to find - bras, lipstick colors, sneakers...

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I want to find jeans that fit comfortably, unfortunately some manufacturer's ideas of where my waist should be (and how big/small it should be in relation to my hips) is unrealistic. I don't want low-rise, but can't stand high waists cutting me around my ribs either. I like the bootcut, there's nothing wrong with my current "mom jeans" except the straight or tapered leg (though the Beene ones are a little high in the waist too). I would *love* to find jeans that fit *everywhere*, whether they have elastic waists or not (as long as they have back pockets!). I just can't stand having a baggy butt or loose legs - as short as I am, the wider the thigh the shorter and stockier I look. Is it too much to ask to not only find them, but find them without going to 10 different stores and trying on 3-4 different styles in 2-3 sizes in each?

Not trying to look 25 again, but I would like to look like my clothes *fit* and not wear something too big or too tight (or worse, tight in some places and baggy in others!). Actually, I like the Tommy jeans I'm wearing right now (though the bottoms of the legs could be flared a little more, at least they're not tapered), I don't know if it's an older style and I'm afraid the tag is so worn I won't be able to read it, but does anybody know where I can buy that brand new?

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

About a month ago my husband and I visited his family in St. Louis. Our love is our niece, now 24 years old, 5'8" tall, 100-110 lb., I'm thinking. I was 5'2" and 100 lb. at that age, but now I'm 60 and 130. We went to a Cardinals baseball game, and I didn't know what to think. She and I wore the same jeans. Levis, boot cut. Her because they make her lean and lanky. Me because they FIT!! I've not asked her opinion, but she seemed to be tickled. OMG, have I become that special aunt that is older but not out of it? Hope so!

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

If she's 6" taller I hope she got them in a longer length than you LOL!

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Woo hoo! I called Tommy, they have 4 outlet stores in Orlando area so if I can get a day without kids I will try on every pair in every store if I have to, once I find a size/cut that fits I'm buying multiples! Well, maybe not too many, b/c after I join the Y and start working out maybe I'll be able to fit into the RL, Mossimo and others I was wearing a few years ago. But at least a couple pairs!

I just went to Macy's site on how to measure though, my rise is like 8.5" to my natural waist. The "midrise" recommended by Macy's for "tummy" and "love handle" shapes looked like they ranged from 9 7/8" to 10.5" (at that rise they'd be at my ribs!). Does anybody know what an 8" rise is? The low-rise I have seem to be (haven't measured - I threw them in the attic) about 5"? So I'd say 8" would be midrise?

Oh, and I clicked on Petite shape for kicks - Macy's recommends a higher rise "to make your lower half look longer" - What? And make my top half look shorter and wider (due to the larger waist I'd require to fit around my rib cage)???

• harriethomeowner
    14 years ago

I remember when that look -- the puffy waist, tapered legs, bleached denim -- was new. And I remember when the dark denim look was considered so nerdy that people would bleach their jeans and rip holes in them before they would wear them. I even remember bell-bottoms, halter tops, fringed vests, Dr. Scholl's wooden sandals -- well, I could go on, but you get the idea. Boy, do I feel old.

hhireno, I've seen just regular old jeans -- you know, the comfortable, flat-front ones with straight legs that fit nicely around the waist and hips -- described as "mom jeans." Maybe if I wait long enough to buy my next pair of jeans, those will come back in style. :)

• spiceislands
    14 years ago

I normally lurk but signed up with G/W just to put in my two cents on this topic, lol! Having just turned 60 and regularly mistaken for 40-something, I wanted to weigh in on this topic.

A great haircut, haircolor, current make-up, diet and exercise, up-to-date wardrobe have all been mentioned and feel they all work in my case. In addition, I've used Retin-A since my 30's and feel it has been a huge help in keeping my skin looking younger. Avoidance of sun exposure also very important.

Jeans: I love, love, love the stretch knit jeans from Coldwater Creek! They look like jeans and feel like sweats. They stretch a little, so at least one size smaller than you normally wear is recommended (they should be pretty snug when you try them on). Other than the occasional other CC purchases, I usually shop at Chico's whose clothes I find to be wonderfully stylish and flattering. I love a bargain so take advantage of their great sales,coupons and promotions. I used to hate clothes shopping before discovering Chico's but now thoroughly enjoy it!

Fun topic!

• liz_h
    14 years ago

ajsmama - have you ever tried a petite cut to see if it fits better? My misses-sized sister has a "petite length" backside. (Seamstresses used to call that distance the stride or crotch length) I wear petites, but am even shorter there than a petite. When I was younger and had a D-cup butt, pants fit better. I always thought I wouldn't mind when by backside started flattening with age!

Anyway, my sis has ordered a few Lands End hemmed-to-order pants in petite sizes and likes them.

I also found a great pair of jeans at Kohl's the other day. They were a GloriaVanderbilt stretch boot cut. They could still use a little tuck at the waist, but don't gap nearly as bad as most brands. I think Talbots tends to fit me better than most as well.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Spiceislands, glad you posted! Welcome!
    I meant to reply to you the other day but didn't have time then the thread dropped and I forgot.
    I really should start using retin a but I like going out in the sun too much. Not sunbathing, just gardening and such.
    I appreciate your tips!

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

I used Retin-A also about 17 years ago, but, I am out in the sun too much also. Would love to try it again, but, we have a pool and a 6 year old that loves the outside and I cannot keep enough sunscreen on me. I did get some discoloration after using Retin-A because I couldn't keep my face out of the sun enough. Discoloration is gone now, but it would probably happen again if I used it. Too bad...

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Thanks liz_h - I sometimes try petites for length, but usually they're a little short. If there's a Short length that usually fits. If just Petite and Regular I fall between. But I've never heard of "petite length backside" LOL. Thought you picked the rise (in front) and then whatever the manufacturer decided to do for coverage/seam length in the back is what you got.

I found a pair of Tommy jeans (size 10, so different cut or shrank more than the 8's I've been wearing?) at Goodwill for $10 so I'm happy. They're a little more flared than the ones I have (I think the old ones are straight leg or maybe slight bootcut - the new ones are bootcut or flare). I also found Bass jeans for $3, size 10 stretch - they seemed a little big in the waist but I thought for $3 worth a try. I wore them yesterday AM and by noon had to take them off b/c they were stretching so much they were falling off. Oh well - I'm getting a bunch ready for consignment, at least they're a name brand, maybe I'll get my $3 back!

Stopped by Kmart and found the Lee jeans hhireno was talking about - got the 10 and the 8's, wore the 8's around the house a couple of hours to see how much they'd stretch - I think they'll be OK. Had to go with Medium length there, Short was too short. 10's seemed to fit in the waist but I was afraid they'd stretch, they had weird bunches or wrinkles at the hips too, right at the bottoms of the (shallow) pockets, like they fit through the tummy (my flabby pooch) but were a little wide right at the widest point of the hips.

Hopefully after I start working out again and lose (or at least firm up) the pooch, I can find things that fit better. Levis has something similar to the Lee tummy control ($20 at Kmart) but they didn't seem to fit me quite as well, forget what they were called but FYI they have pink labels.

Since we're leaving on vacation I was also trying on shorts (wore shorts once this summer, of course got burned so spent all of August in jeans b/c legs were rashy and UV-sensitive once they peeled). I have come to the conclusion that with my pooch and not-so-skinny-thighs, but bony knees and skinny calves (not to mention the large top), I look better in jeans - I need the flare to balance the top half (or 3/4) out! I'm taking 1 pair of shorts but wearing 1 pair of jeans and packing another. I hope it doesn't get over 80, I'll be sweltering! Though usually I'm cold, maybe I'd better pack some long-sleeved (lightweight) shirts just in case. We're all bringing sweatshirts for evenings.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

remember when that look -- the puffy waist, tapered legs, bleached denim -- was new. And I remember when the dark denim look was considered so nerdy that people would bleach their jeans and rip holes in them before they would wear them. I even remember bell-bottoms, halter tops, fringed vests, Dr. Scholl's wooden sandals -- well, I could go on, but you get the idea. Boy, do I feel old.

Me too! But ... does anyone remember Red Snap jeans? They were all the rage in the 70s in my area. They had huge bell bottoms, came in a rainbow of colors, and we bought 'em at the Army/Navy store. Ahhhhh ... memories.

• pris
    14 years ago

Those look like the dungarees issued to the Ex when he was in the Navy and since they're from the Army/Navy store it's a possibility. I remember when we were first married, he brought home some new ones and asked me to "age" them. Well, I did. Little did I know that by "age" they had to be washed before worn for the first time. I put them in the tub in some bleach water and boy did they age. LOL.

• parma42
    14 years ago

AJ, when you're at the malls in Orlando, stop in at the Ralph Lauren shops.

Their jeans never bag in the butt and still have some room so you can actually move around.

• caminnc
    14 years ago

How not to look old..............Lots of money and lots of time to shop!!!

• jant
    14 years ago

It would be refreshing IF they let the ladies wear their glasses. It irks me that in the "afters" they're always gone. I can't see a darn thing without mine and I cannot wear contacs for medical reasons. One might look better for awhile...until you smack into a wall cuz you can't see... lol

Yes, a good set of glasses helps but nothing really ages you more...hate 'em, hate 'em.

The other thing that I've noticed since wearing them full time is that I can't wear much jewelry...it seems overdone and as if the glasses are an "accessory". I put on earrings then a necklace ... then off comes the necklace, especially if it's larger in size. Small still works it seems.

YES to white teeth and a good, shorter haircut. I was always lazy and wore a ponytail out and about. Horses, gardening in hot weather didn't allow for much "style"! And I cannot STAND hair around my face. Finally chopped it super short, did light bangs, moussed it and YES! Even Mr M, (who did NOT want me to cut it) agreed it took years off and is much more flattering.

Now...about that "pelican neck"...oy. lol

• spiceislands
    14 years ago

JanT, have you considered or investigated lasik? I gleefully disgarded my 1,532 (well, it seemed like that many anyway!) pair of readers a couple of years ago. It was life changing I tell ya!

• jant
    14 years ago

I would KILL for Lasik; my DH was one of the first in CO to have it done many years ago...amazing!

Not a candidate...I have Glaucoma.

• jant
    14 years ago

Hee...in fact it was SO new that his surgery was done with a knife! Even drugged I can't imagine that knife coming down into my eye.....ugh!!

One thing that our surgeon did that was sooo smart. He ONLY operated on 1 eye. Because of that, one usually wouldn't need readers in the future. He did the dominant eye.

• spiceislands
    14 years ago

Well darn, Jan. Things do change very quickly though. When I went in a couple of months ago for my check up the dr. was showing me some of the new equpment obtained in the past year and explaining what he can do now that he couldn't do just one yr. ago. He said he couldn't have imagined the new equipment or the procedures he's now able to do 20 yrs ago when he was in school. Maybe worth asking about again?

I believe doing the dominant eye is always the preferred option. I wasn't a candidate (needed both done) but I know others who were able to receive optimal results by having just one eye done.

• jant
    14 years ago

Nope Spice. Lasik should ONLY be done on healthy eyes. Any surgeon (of course now it's like factory assembly lol!) that performs surgery on anyone with eye probs is in it for the $$$. We had a friend that was sooo excited about my husband's success and she went to a different surgeon. She exp'd numerous probs, FOUR surgeries and it never did "work". She had some probs beforehand that would have had our MD saying "not"! Oh well..at least the wrinkles aren't tooo bad yet. Good genes from dad, lots of moisturizer over the years. :)

And I don't wear Mommy jeans. :)

• golddust
    14 years ago

I've worn glasses since 2nd grade so it is funny to think of glasses as something that ages a person. No contacts for me. Can't wear them. I see fine close up but can't drive without them.

I wear and recommend prescription sunglasses as a way to look cool with glasses. LOL! I wear them year round unless it is dark outside.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

My take, I might add I'm turning 50 in a few weeks. I dye my hair, I'm a runner, so I'm in shape, I smile a lot, only makeup is under eye coverup & lip balm. The last pair of pants I purchsed,$3.....at a thirft store were by Dockers,black,size 8,low rise, flat front, flared leg. I do wear short sheepskin boots,those are "still" trendy. But for the most part my DH of 31 years is still whispering I'm sexy in my ear......so ......what more did I want? :0) I'm not having any "treatments" for the skin that's not tight anymore or the veins because I work out.....just gonna be "an old women" when I grow up as the song says! Yeah!

I was shocked when last week my girfriend announced she's getting a divorce after 30 years of marriage. Says they've been living as room mates for the last 15 years. I've known her for a year and she wears very little clothing when we're working out, guys look her over ALL the time. Drooling and flirting with her! I have to admit that's not what I want when I'm sweating in mixed company! :0) Glad someone enjoys that kind of "being young"!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert