SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Setting old family diamonds for DDIL to be?

sheilajoyce_gw
15 years ago

Our older son is dating someone that he recently told us he plans to marry-- some day! He is a slow poke, which is good in this situation. I have told him that we have some old family diamonds when that day comes, and that he should consider getting them reset.

Has anyone done this?

Most of these stones were from his great grandmother and great, great uncle. One pinky ring has 6 nice sized diamonds that are slightly tinted brown. I will ask the jeweler what they are called when I have a chance this next week. The rest are white diamonds: We have one stone about 1 carat, one about 2/3 of a carat and one less than 1/2 a carat. Then there are lots of chips, some of which are really tiny. I think all of the chips could look good set in a wedding band and maybe some set beside the engagement diamond(s). Everything is round cut, and I am not sure if they are the old fashioned cut or not. They look too sparkly to be the old fashioned cut.

We have all the white and yellow gold shanks, and I do wonder if it is at all economical to see about asking the jeweler to melt them down to make the ring set for the diamonds.

This son is not into girly things, so he will turn to us for some input. I do like including his girlfriend in the discussion at some point if he wants to do so. He may want to surprise her. He is a practical son who probably does not see putting good money that could be used to buy a house into a stone, and so I think this is the only way she will get a diamond engagement ring.

In this economy and just with his approach to spending on what he sees as luxuries, I do think this is the only way our future DIL will ever get a diamond. We are happy to do this for them.

So, has anyone had any experience with resetting family diamonds? with various sized diamonds?

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz