SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Really Irritated, Our Office Was Broken Into Last Night!

User
10 years ago

Okay, this is a major rant! Last night around 9 pm we got a call from the alarm monitoring company for,our office. The alarm was going off and they wanted to know if it was accidental. We had just finished dinner, so it wasn't, and they called 911. We received four calls more in rapid succession, so DH and I went to meet the police at the office. Someone had used a tree branch to break the window in a back office and of course glass and bark was everywhere. The computer monitor, keyboard and mouse had been taken, but not the CPU, which gives you an idea of how unsophisticated our burglar was. Desk stuff was strewn everywhere and there was shattered glass into the adjacent bathroom.

An officer and k-9 had secured the building ground level and the dog had been cut by the glass. He was being bandaged in the parking lot and the vet called to stitch him up. His blood was dripped in every hallway and room and there was a puddle of it in the front reception area. The person(s) had also tried to pull a specialized monitor off one of the walls in another room, but that's all that was taken or deliberately damaged.

Thank god handy guy is staying with us this week! We called him and he brought wood from our basement to board up the window. We had to wait until the crime scene tech arrived to take photos and dust for fingerprints....our homegrown version of CSI. Let me tell you, that fingerprint powder is a MESS. You can't see it until moisture hits it, then it turns into a greasy black mud. It was all over two rooms when she finished--- chairs, equipment, doors, walls in some places, etc.

The three of us cleaned up the mess (handy guy did most of the work, I mopped the floors and cleaned the dog's blood off the baseboards and walls, DH picked up the biggest glass shards). HG boarded up the window and we got home around 11:30 pm. Today I will have the window replaced and the carpet cleaned, and HG is putting burglar bars on the back office windows. I have resisted doing that because it looks "ghetto" to me, but this time DH is insistent. Last year someone broke a window trying to get in but was deterred and did not actually get in due to the alarm.

Many feelings---- sad the dog was hurt, but he will be fine, they said. Annoyance at the extra work......incredulity that a person would make such a mess for a monitor, mouse and keyboard.....more annoyance that Handy Guy will spend today doing work at the office instead of Christmas decorating at our home....gratitude to the police, who were out in force to look for the perpetrator(s).....thankfulness that Handy Guy was here and so willing to do whatever was needed.

Rant over. It could have been a lot worse, obviously, and there are far worse things that happened to others last night in our town, state, and nation. But it IS really annoying.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County