SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpack24

A/C Coil Iced Up, But Now Works Okay. Do I have a problem?

jpack24
14 years ago

June 9 and prior - A/C working fine.

June 10 - Left on vacation; set thermostat to 82 degrees to keep humidity out of the house.

June 27 - Arrived home late p.m.; friend had set thermostat back to 72 degrees earlier in the day so house would be cool when we got home. A/C is running, house is cool (74) and we went almost immediately to bed.

June 28 - House is cool as expected; fan running when we got up. During the day we notice fan not kicking off, but temp is maintaining at 72. Late evening fan is still running, but temp is rising to 74. Went to basement to see what I could see and found water on the floor around the furnace/blower, with no condensate running into sump crock. This happened once before when crud clogged the drain line, so I blew into the drain line to clear it (easier than taking it apart). I heard a gurgle and a bit of water splashed from under the plenum; drain is now open and condensate runs out for about 30 seconds. Problem solved (I think.)

I then notice a bit of frost on the plenum (not supposed to be there). Anticipating what I would find, I open one side of the plenum to find the A coil frozen. I turn the thermostat to 80 (shutting off the call for A/C), but put the fan on constant. I check the 1" MERV 6 pleated filter, which is pretty dirty, but not much more than it sometimes get when I forget to change it. I leave the filter out and run the fan for 2 hours or so, during which time the ice melts. I turn the A/C back on, set to 72 degrees. The A/C goes to work, cools to 72 degrees and shuts off. It has kicked on and off as usual for 48 hours with no sign of freezing.

Related information, if it means anything...the living level of the house was in the low 80's when the unit was reset to 72 on Saturday. The basement would have been about 70 or so. The outside temp was in the mid to high 80's during the day, and only into the mid 70's at night. The next day had similar temps. Temps yesterday and today are in the low 70s.

The furnace and heat pump are 1991 vintage, with the coolant in the heat pump replaced and a leaking line repaired about 6 years ago. Zero problems with cooling this year, even on days when temps were in the low 90's and we had he house at 72.

Bottom line....what happened? Do I have a problem, or did I have the "perfect storm" of conditions unlikely to occur again?

Comments (5)