SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
udarrell_2007

TECHs' Determining Metering Device Easy Way

udarrell_2007
15 years ago

All Techs, to avoid using Superheat charging instead of Subcooling for TXVs -Determining which metering device TXV or Fixed Orifice the system has - without physically looking.

You have to know which metering device it is, in order to use the correct charging method.

Hook up your manifold gauges, block off considerable condenser air intake for a short time.

If the suction pressure & head starts rising, you have a piston, or a cap tube.

If only the high side head goes up, you have a TXV.

Have what you need in your van or truck to block-off the condenser air-intake (NOT discharge air) for a short time.

Check every time you are not certain what metering device it has.

With many TXVs being used now, there will be far too much guessing now & in the future.

Do this procedure on known metering devices to observe the difference. Report back to me how well it works for you.

In some situations, this method could save you from cutting a hole in the plenum.

-----

Squirrel cage wheels with forward curved blades on residential systems

unload when discharge air is blocked off too much & will overload

when there is no static pressure.

There is a preferable ESP range for each Air Handler blower design, that ought to be listed on the blower; they vary at the point of serious unloading.

If you amp-probe check enough of those blower motors, if the amp draw is too low according to its rating, you can begin to tell that the External Static Pressures (ESP) is too high.

-------

I lot of us used to set a nearly empty R-22 cylinder on top of a condenser to warm it a little. Back then fan motors had more HP & higher amp draws, therefore it didn't seem to cause any harm, just more noise.

Where there were cottonwood trees, nearby clothes dryer lint vents, or a lot of leaves or other debris under the unit, the fan motors would be blocked overload & burnout.

I don't understand the engineering genius of that moronic design.

However, on hot days & a heat-loaded E-Coil, you could move your wrist over the condenser from outlet up to inlet, & tell if the liquid was taking up too much area of the coils; an overcharged system. - udarrell

Here is a link that might be useful: Superheat & Subcooling Charging Procedures

Comments (6)