SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Recommendations for Personal GPS Tracking Device?

bbstx
8 years ago

A neighbor whose husband has mild dementia asked me to look into GPS tracking devices for her husband to carry (she's not very tech savvy, so online research is a struggle for her). His dementia is not to the stage yet where he cannot go and do on his own, but if he doesn't come home when she thinks he should, she worries.

Yesterday, it was a "one day we may need this" problem. Today, it became a "we need this now" problem. Today, her husband met his buddies for coffee as he does every day, said he was going to go work out afterwards like he does most days, and then he didn't come home for 3 hours. She was frantic. When he came home, she discovered he had gone to a place where he often volunteers even though this isn't his day to be there.

He carries a cell phone but frequently fails to answer it.

It is really sad. He is a fit, vibrant, highly-successful businessman who is fading away day by day. Fortunately, he retired before the dementia showed up.

Most of the personal GPS trackers that I have looked at get mixed reviews. I looked at the AmberAlert, PocketFinder, Trax, and Trackimo, but my question is not limited to these brands. There may well be a solution that I'm totally unaware of. Cost is not an issue although no one wants to spend a bunch of money on something that is unreliable.

My neighbor wants to be able to open an app, pull up a map, and see where her husband is.

Do any of you have any experience with these devices? What is your experience? What would you recommend?

Comments (21)