SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Gathering of Greyhounds-Atlanta

rob333 (zone 7b)
13 years ago

We made it! After every obstacle and in the world (weather, untimely death, messed up reservations, and for me, even, the Music City Marathon), we made it to Atlanta. Beverly didn't make it. It was the most awesomely wonderful time. Great company, great food, great weather. I feel on top of the world. After my health issues this past month, I needed to get some enjoyment. Six of the most delightful people I have met in a long time. It so worth the 540 miles of driving. I am posting first because I have the pictures :)

We met in Decatur and had lunch at the Watershed. We spent some cooling off and catching up. It was a industrial tea room, best way I can describe it. It was open with tall ceilings, with gauzy curtains, and huge wine racks graced the walls. There were mussels replete with crusty bread and dipping commenced. Fried cauliflower, burgers, and a couple of us tried the vegetarian faro prepared in a risotto manner. It was a nice way to start the visit. Then, we went to the Dekalb Farmer's market. There were so many things! Every cheese, every meat, every sausage, pastries, every fruit, wine, rows and rows of spices, chocolate, flowers, coffee... And on to Trader Joe's. We stocked up on wine!!! Just a bit. Then dinner was a fun meal where we really got down to business talking. Almost everyone at the table shared a meal with someone else. Cathy eats her prime rib in just right way ;) After a late ending, we went our separate ways. The next day was slower and we met to have brunch before hitting the road.

Cathy, Judith, and Robin

We didn't get to eat at Ray's on the River, but ended up at a new and just as nice place, Canoe. It's also on the Chattahoochee, also has fine linens, stellar service and the only food we wanted to photograph. They have their own chicken coop on site and the eggs were fresh. Fresh beyond belief. The scones with a perfect crumb, the "sticky buns" (nothing bun about them!) were crisp round flaky croissants swirled and then crusted with most delicate cinnamon and caramel confection, topped with toasty pecans. We had those first. Then, going around the table:

Smoked Salmon “Eggs Benedict” on Toasted English Muffins with Citrus Hollandaise

"The Riverside" eggs, brioche french toast topped with berries, and applewood bacon (three of us had this one)

Wild Mushroom, Bacon & Goat Cheese Quiche with a Mixed Green Salad. Tallest quiche I'd ever seen

Arugula Salad with Spicy Walnuts, Shaved Parmesan and Citrus Champagne Vinaigrette

Cathy will have to tell us what her appetizer was, but it looked good! It was House Smoked Salmon with a Crispy Potato Pancake and Vermont Goat Cheese.

As for the weather (I just can't ignore it!): The destruction really began one county south of me and was water. Another county south, and the wind damage joined in. There were places all along I-24/I-75 that looked just like it did when we drove to New Orleans after the hurricane. Trees snapped off at the knees. It smelled of heady honeysuckle and freshly hewn pine warming in the sun together. There were huge trees lying on their sides alongside completely knotted pieces of steel signs and guardrails. Nickajack Lake had loads of damage and so did mile marker 298 in Georgia. I cannot even imagine what it looked like in Ringgold. The interstate alone still had debris on it. The exit was shut down. Powerlines tilted. I did see a Nashville Fire Department truck tooling around near that exit and I would not doubt for one moment they were there to help. Chattanooga didn't seem any worse for the wear, but I didn't stop there. I'd made a point to stop and get my gastank filled up long before it both going and coming.

All of it was a constant reminder that neither Beverly nor Liz would join us. I would do it again in a heartbeat. These two are the most special people. I can't express that strongly enough. Judith also brought her daughters and they would so fit in here. They're kind souls who loved food as much as we! Words cannot express the gratitude I feel towards them all, but especially for the enrichment I gained this weekend when I met our Mustangs and Jude31.

Comments (39)