SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

Could you spare a good thought

nodakgal
16 years ago

or two for DD's (Yankeegirl here)doxie?

Shadow is once again having problems with his back and can not use his back legs at all. He drags himself, can't stand,walk etc. He had a couple spells before. Surgury isn't an option.

Hes been to a couple of very good vets. DD has had him on meds, first shots and steroids I think and then a daily pill, a generic of Rimadyl (sp) for a year or more and it did wonders for him! Then he had stomach ulcers 3 or 4months ago and had to be given something different. I can't remember the name of the new drug. Maybe DD will stop in and tell me. She reads here lots.

ANyway, the day after Christmas he started having problems, she called the vet that night and he was seen the next day. Vet thought shots might be able to pull him out of it again. SO far its been a week and no improvement. This vet is WONDERFUL!! She comes to DD's home everyday so far to examine Shadow and give him the shots!! Everyday. This is over 13 miles one way for the vet!! She now is going to try a couple weeks of steroid shots. The vet is pretty disappointed he isn't responding so far. DD loves the vet and said she gets down on the floor and leans right in next to both the dogs and talks so low to them, like in whispers and talks to them like they are people!! I told DD, if anyone can pull Shadow through this, its this vet!

If you have a spare good thought or two could you please think of Shadow and my DD? She doesn't want to put him to sleep, he is only about 5 years old.

Comments (29)

• country_bumpkin_al
    16 years ago

You got it!! Sending VERY special thoughts to Shadow & YankeeGirl!!!

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

Sure, sending good thoughts for them. Here's hoping it works soon. If not, then I would check out acupuncture - I have read of some great results.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

Sending positive thoughts and wishes for Shadow.

Gayle

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Sending special thoughts out for Shadow's healing.
    The vet sounds like a miracle worker.

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is DD's 2 doxies
    Willie on the left
    Shadow on the right.

• linda_in_iowa
    16 years ago

Sending good thoughts from Jake and I.

• alisande
    16 years ago

They're so sweet! Add my good thoughts, and a thank-you for that amazing vet!

• Linda Wayman
    16 years ago

Sending special thoughts for sweet little Shadow.

Linda

• okwriter
    16 years ago

How sad! Good thoughts for Shadow? You betcha! :-)

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

So sorry to hear!
    Hoping the little one gets better!

• grinch_gut
    16 years ago

OH I am so sorry to read this...you bet healing thoughts heading that way.....Eddie and Ivy send paw hugs too..Stacy

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

Sending good thoughts for Shadow!!

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

I'm sending my strongest healing thoughts. My gut feeling is that Shadow will be better very soon, keep sending your positive thoughts and you will see.
    Donna

• LorifromUtah
    16 years ago

Of course I can spare a good thought...I can spare LOTS of good thoughts for Shadow and her family!

Lori

• ronm80
    16 years ago

Sending good thoughts for Shadow.

• foggyj
    16 years ago

Absolutely. Our dog has arthritic problems. She's only 5 yrs. old. It's awfully hard to go through that.
    What is the dog's diagnosis? Here's hoping Shadow improves alot.

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Its not good Froggy. The last spell (over a year ago)was a bad one and a different vet told DD then she should put him down or consider the surgery tho he wouldn't promise the surgery could even help him. The shots at that time didn't help, I don't remember what they were. DD suggested steroids, which they did give him for 30 days, then the rimadyl after that, til he had problems this fall. Last time he was totally paralyzed, lost control of his bowel and bladder a time or two. DD's BF Justin made a cart for him. Shadow came out of it. Now after a week of steroid shots he hasn't responded. It came on quick and she got a vet to see him quick, but so far not helping. This vet is disapointed as DD is. She said they would try the steroid shots a little further down his back and possibly for 2 weeks. SO she is trying everything she can to save this dog, but doesn't know if it will work either! DD was going to ask the vet tonight when she comes what she should do. Its alot to ask of this vet to come in everyday for 3 weeks! Lady vet has a job and is a licensed vet but doesn't practice anymore. She does this for her love of animals as far as DD can figure out. She also doesnt like to charge DD! DD had to pressure the vet to tell them what they owed last time when Shadow had the stomach ulcers!
    I wish I had a vet like her! I mean DD doesn't mind paying and wants to pay her because she is so wonderful with the dogs, but then to not want to be paid? or not worry about it?? Unreal to me!

• yankeegirl
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for thinking of shadow I know he can feel it and appreciates it!!!
    The vet just left a little bit ago. The next few days are going to be the deciding factor on how we treat him. If he isn't any better in the next few days that means the damage is not repairable :( So if everyone can keep him in your thought for the next few days I would appreciate it!
    Thanks again
    Heather

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just got this, the vet was there a bit ago:

Well not so good news she gave him another shot and she wants to come over and look at him before I go to work
    I did ask her what she thinks and she said if there is no hope I will tell you and the outlook isn't the greatest right now but lets give him a couple of days and see.
    Her opinion means a lot its not that no one else matters but I trust her and she is a vet and she won't BS me
    I know everyone thinks that I should put him down but like a coworker said today you have to give them a chance and I would like to think that I have done everything I can possibly do and afford to do!
    Most people would not have gone as far as I have with him and I like to think that he knows that too
    It sounds like if he doesn't come out of this that damage is not repairable

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL We were posting at the same time Heather! Glad you popped in.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

Oh, gosh! I know what that's like!! We still have a hole dug in the backyard to put Roxie in! She scared us to death back in July and I realy thought she was a goner.

I was just watching her this morning and thinking that she's starting to jump up and down off the couch waaay too much.

God luv'em. They've got such long bodies and tiny little legs to hold them up!

Hope Shadow gets well quickly. Maybe it's just a flareup. I sure hope so.

• kathy_
    16 years ago

Awwww. I have seen commercial carts for Doxies if that is an option.
    How sad for the poor little doggin.
    Kathy

• pfllh
    16 years ago

I don't know if it is even an option but what about the new procedure with Laser. I have rescued animals for years. If I found them a home, fine. If I didn't find them a home they stayed with me. Sassy is a full blooded lab I rescued years ago, now 10. She could not get up where I had to physically get my arms around her the best I could and lift her up.
    My vet explained about the new laser treatment where they run a laser over the problem area. Sassy had 2 sessions and is much better unless she's on tile or the wood floor. She is also on Deramax. I may not have spelled that right.
    My vet told me that there have been amazing results. Normally the max is 6 sessions, if needed. I saw the difference almost immediately. Sassy was getting up by herself after the 2nd session. They cost $60 a session. She's not as good as she used to be but neither am I. Getting older does change things.
    I do hope perhaps this is an option. Saying goodbye does not get easier, it hurts even more now. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Take care
    Lynn in Alabama

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear of Shadow's problems, Yankee Girl and nodakgal.

My ex- had a dachsie - her third.

Daughter inherited Lena when her Mom died three years ago, and used to leave her here when she travelled, three or four times a year.

She was 14, and having pain troubles, so was taking Metacam daily.

She got into the garbage, which she loved to do, got a stomach/bowel blockage, and didn't respond after surgery, so they felt that they had to put her down, a few months ago.

Sending good thoughts and hopes for Shadow.

How fortunate that you have such a caring vet!

ole joyful

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Awww, poor Shadow. I'm sending warm healing thoughts for all of you. It sounds like you have a very caring vet and you can be thankful for that. Keep us posted and we'll keep the prayers coming.
    ~Betsy

• bunny_lover
    16 years ago

Adding my good thoughts for Shadow & Heather!

• williamsburgjane
    16 years ago

Sending special thoughts for Shadow and warm hugs for Yankeegirl.

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I emailed Heather this morning and this is what she said. So things are pretty much the same, the next couple days will tell. I feel so bad for Shadow, only his front legs work and he can pull himself around on the carpet, but not the kitchen floor. She is trying everything possible for him.

Well before she left last night we were kinda talking about how people
    massage their dogs LOL
    So anyways I sat on the floor by him and just kinda rubbed his back
    for a little bit and he just closed his eyes like that feels
    sooooooooooooo good
    and this morning she came over a little after 6 and he was kinda back
    up on his legs a little bit. SHe gave him another shot and wants to
    give him another one after work today
    So maybe the massage worked.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Peati and I will keep good thoughts for Shadow. I wonder if accupuncture might be an option. Our vet offers it but Peati hasn't needed it yet. I'd gladly take the pain myself that to see a fur baby in pain.