SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dglmichelle

Layout advice - how did I do?

dglmichelle
15 years ago

I've been playing around with layouts for a year now and keep coming back to this one.

We will be removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room and adding a wall between the kitchen and family room as well as extending the living room wall by 2 feet. We will also be moving one window and extending the other.

I think I have the flow covered. My husband and I both cook and the prep area would mainly be between the sink and stove with the island as an additional prep space if needed. The dishes and glasses would be stored above the dishwasher and silverware will be in the island.

Usually, one of us is prepping/cooking and the other is unloading the dishwasher from the night before, getting drinks to the table and cleaning dishes. So, we shouldn't run into each other often.

I really wanted the island with seating as my extended family is over frequently. I know that distance between the island and pantry is tight, but if people need to get through, they can go around through the living room when people are seated as there's nothing behind that wall.

The microwave and trash is in the island. Should I switch the microwave to be closer to the range and trash closer to the dishwasher?

Anything else I'm missing?

The current size of the kitchen/dining room is 23.5' x 13.5'

Current Layout

New Layout

Comments (6)