SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

Going to Hawaii (Oahu)

kimberlyrkb
14 years ago

Sigh. Yep, I'm not thrilled to be going. I'm going with my best friend from college, as she just found some super inexpensive flights. We've known each other 20 years. I love her to death - we talk weekly, but about a weekend together once or twice each year is all I typically can take....and this trip will be 7 days of togetherness. My friend and her husband have a house there and she's been asking me to go for 2 years now. I know I sound ungrateful, but personally, I haven't ever wanted to travel 12 hours to go on a beach vacation AND even though I love my friend , she has a lot of rules and idiosyncrasies.

For example....I must bring a pair of indoor-only flip flops, because even though my feet might be freshly showered clean and the air conditioning is on, they could sweat and get the floor dirty. One may not sit on the sofa or carpet to read the newspaper, as the ink may transfer (I don't ever lay the newspaper down on the furniture anyway); one may only read the newspaper at the dining table or on the lanai. Sunblock may not be applied in the house, just in case it gets on the furniture. The list - I was sent a list of the "house rules" - goes on and on. When her 74-year old mother visited earlier this year, she (the mom) slept on the floor next to the bed rather than get the bedding dirty. Food must be prepared and eaten quickly! We don't want to attract bugs, which will surely happen if we linger over our meals. After returning home from whatever activity, one must shower immediately, or one may not sit on the furniture. Hopefully we won't be at the house much.

She and her DH have told my DH and me that we are welcome to use their place any time, but my DH has said no way is he going to take the chance of messing something up there and I agree!

We like nice things, but more importantly, when we entertain, we want our family and friends to be comfortable in our home. We don't want people living in fear of spilling a beverage or getting a little foot sweat on our carpet.

I truly don't think this is an OCD situation, she's just very particular and controlling. I'm trying to think positively and focus on spending quality time with my friend, and the fun things I'll get to see and do, but it's difficult knowing I'll have to be so on guard.

So, on to the positive....any suggestions for what I should take with me or things I should be sure to see and do? We will be snorkeling for sure, but beyond that, I don't really know. I'm trying to pack carefully so I take only a carry on.

Thanks for listening to me vent. :)

Comments (16)