SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houstonmom_gw

Central air overflow (?) drain leaking-Houston, TX

houstonmom_gw
14 years ago

The original air conditioning unit had an overflow issue but the builder got it corrected after a few visits (I remember he propped a brick under one of the drip pans in the attic but don't remember if it was related to the overflow issue). So for 15 years the drain pipes that protrude out of the soffit have not leaked at all.

We replaced both units 2 years ago, and now we have leaking again. Our heating/air guy has come out several times and gets the dripping stopped. He also told me to pour a bit of bleach into the pipes (stack pipe?) now and again. Last time he was out was last fall. No drips for a couple of weeks, but then it started draining out onto our patio again. We don't use the air too much in the "winter" so I didn't bother to call him back. There is never water in the drip pans up in the attic.

Now we are "milking" it by turning the unit on & off as needed (it's our upstairs unit so air off and on periodically during the day = not too big a deal).

Any suggestions on how to rectify this on our own I would be appreciated! (trying to avoid any extra expenses because we are very financially challenged right now.)

Thanks

Comments (3)