SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjfrisco_gw

AC Condensation Overflow

jjfrisco
16 years ago

I'm just an average homeowner who usually hangs out in the garden forums. We moved into our new house 3 weeks ago, but the house is 6 years old. The house, including A/C system checked out okay with the home inspector prior to our closing.

This morning when cutting the grass, I noticed water dripping from the attic overhang. I was pretty sure that this was not a good thing.

I went into the attic and checked both AC units. Both are Central A/C units, with a metal drip pan underneath the units. There are condensation lines running out of both units, I assume into a bathroom drain somewhere, but I have yet to find where they terminate. There is also pvc line running from the drip pans, to I believe the attic overhang.

The upstairs unit drip pan had a cup or so of rusty water in the bottom of it. I was pretty sure that this meant the main condensation line was clogged and needed bleach to clear it up. I added an ounce or so of pure bleach to the pvc opening of the main condensation lines for both units. I also noticed that the upstairs unit had some rusty stains inside of the condensation line, but no standing water or algae that I could see.

After adding the bleach, I monitored the rest of the day and still had water coming from the attic overhang when the unit was running. A few minutes ago, I went ahead and added about 1/2 gallon of bleach to the upstairs condensation line. I watched for a few minutes and there is still water dripping from the overflow pvc out of the unit and into the drip pan, then out of the drip pan and into the pvc pipe leading from the drip pan (and presumably dripping out of the attic overhang).

Do I just need to be patient, or is there something else I should be doing. Sorry for the long post, but I'm assuming the more info the better.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)