SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Can I substitute butter in this recipe?

laceyvail 6A, WV
13 years ago

I found this unusual biscuit recipe in the April Country Living magazine. It appeals to me since I can hold the dough for up to a week, and it seems unusual in that it's a biscuit recipe that uses yeast. (And it's easy to halve). However, I never use Crisco or anything with hydrogenated fats. I'd substitue lard if I could get lard that wasn't partially hydrogenated. Lacking that, can I use butter?

Buttermilk Angel Biscuits

2 1/4 tsp yeast

1/4 cup warm water

1/4 c. sugar

6 c. all purpose flour

1 Tbl baking powder

t tsp baking soda

1 tsp szlt

1 c. Crisco

2 c. buttermilk

3 Tbl. unsalted butter, melted

Combine yeast, water, and 1 Tbl. of the sugar. Set aside.

Whisk together flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt. Cut in shortening.

Add yeast mixture and buttermilk and stir until dough just comes together. Knead 5-6 times. Return dogh to bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 1 week.

Turn dough onto heavily floured surface, kenad about 10 times. Roll out to 1/3 inch thickenss. Using 2 1/4 inch round cutter, cut biscuits and arrange onto ungreased sheet. Gather scraps and roll out just one more time and cut biscuits. Discard any scraps after this.

Brush biscuits with melted butter and allow to rise about 30 minutes. Bake at 425 10-12 minutes.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012