SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hgluckman_gw

Granite Experts: Overhangs and Curves

hgluckman
14 years ago

Things are starting to get real on our remodeling project - hoping to have signed contract with our GC tonight. Today, my specific question is for the granite to go on the upper portion of our island. Right now, we're looking at Russian Sable from Arizona Tile, and they've found us slabs that are 130 x 62 (although we haven't seen those slabs yet). We're planning on a simple edge detail (1/4" radius or eased).

Here's a drawing of what we expect the finished kitchen to look like:

For the upper countertop on the island, here are the measurements (these came off the original drawing, they may change by small amounts). The gray shows where there's cabinets/structure underneath, and the white is the overhang:

I guess I have three questions right now:

1. Are these curves hard? While we haven't gotten an exact breakdown, our GC is telling us that this will add about $1000 to the total (it's hard to tell if this is just the SF charge, but I don't think so).

2. Assuming we go with those large slabs, would you make this top out of a single piece, or is that too big to handle? If you would seam it, where do you think the seam would go?

3. For the large overhang at the end, we're looking at having "hidden" metal supports. I'm thinking that we may reduce it a little bit (maybe 18" overhang). Does anybody see any issues supporting this overhang?

What other questions should I be asking?

Comments (5)