SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

This week's 'Forklift Finds.. (a little OT)

CEFreeman
12 years ago

So I've been gloating over this find on my last Friday's visit, but didn't have anyone to tell. It's not kitchen related, so I didn't think I should post it here. Then, I realized I found something that is kitchen related, so yeah!!! I can gloat with you.

Friday I found someone had dissembled their deck. For about $300, I bought about $2500's worth of material for my future back deck. The 4' drop out my bedroom's slider is extremely inconvenient.

Anyway, I got 24 concrete footers, 16' boards, 6x6s, 2x8s, 2x10s, 2x6s, some 2x4s, and stair risers, all treated. I found drainage tile to use on my future retaining wall. (The grade around my house is horrible, conveniently dumping acres of water against my foundation.)

I found ledger boards for attaching the deck to the house, to go under the siding I'm already having put on the back of the house. I found an entire box of 2x8 joist hangers. $.50 a piece or $5.00 for the box of 100.

I think next week I'll go through the hardware area and find the necessary lag bolts.

Kitchen related: I found marble back splash that I will someday install behind my sink. hehehe. About 6's worth.

But I just bought a deck! Now I just have to save the $$ to have the darned thing put together and attached to the house. I guess I have to save for the top/flooring boards, but in the face of an entire deck? whoopie!

BTW. The fellow who does my drywall when I have $$ is putting the siding on the back of the house. After 6 years, my entire house will finally be covered. He's doing it in exchange for bow hunting rights on my back acres. He also picked up my deck materials in his big-boy truck. He's excited about putting up the deck. We'll barter or I'll pay him his more than reasonable and affordable price. I am so lucky.

And of course, I found my marble backsplash....

Thanks for letting me crow!

Christine

Comments (11)