SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldryder

An adult conversation about upscale countertop options

After seeing the "now that granites outdated" post I thought I might offer a more adult approach to the discussion of the options.

1. Natural Stone -including "granite", schist, laboradite, marble, travertine, limestone, sandstone, soapstone,onyx, slate, and more - still generally the preferred selection for high end applications due to the vast array of looks and material properties available. It's not a coincidence that the highest volume quartz colors are those that are closest in appearance to natural stone. Low, med, high, and very high priced options available

2. Concrete - has color choices and construction options unavailable in other materials. However, success depends greatly on the skill of the fabricator/installer. EVERY very large seamless interior concrete top I have seen has developed hairline cracks sooner or later. (I admit bias, all the concrete tops I have seen were varying degrees of ugly. Med to very high priced.

3. Stainless - generally too clinical or commercial in appearance for most residential applications. Embossed stainless has gained some acceptance particularly for splash. superior hygiene properties. High to very high priced.

4. Quartz - moderately priced with considerable acceptance particularly for newer colors that mimic natural stone. Very bright whites and monotones also popular in commercial applications. Has many of the advantages of traditional solid surface "Corian" type products but is far more durable if susceptibility to damage from heat is ignored. med to high priced.

5. Copper, Tin, and Glass - desired for their uniqueness. Also quite expensive and success is heavily dependent on the talent and skill of the designer and fabricator. high to very high priced

6. Wood - has traditional flair but wears poorly and has very poor hygiene properties. Low to high priced.

7. Manufactured slabs with gemstone inclusions - slabs run $250 per sq. ft. and up just for the raw material but are extraordinarily beautiful. must be processed like quartz or natural stone.

Comment (1)