SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
i_m_fletcher

Removing Etch Marks from Marble

i_m_fletcher
13 years ago

I've had my new marble counter tops for about three weeks now. As expected, I've created a few etch marks on the counter tops - primarily in the prep area between the sink and range top as well as a few really good ones next to the sink edge.

Details:

-Calacatta Ruggine (very similar to Calacatta Gold)

-Brushed Surface (lightly polished with some texture)

-Sealed by Fabricators

-Etch marks created by lime juice and orange juice

I was under the impression that once an etch mark is made (and it happens instantly) there's nothing that can be done except get used to the new mark on the counter top. I'm ok with this in general and actually like the idea that my counter tops will develop a patina over time.

That being said, those first few etch marks stick out like a sore thumb and are a little rough to accept. I set out to see if I could remove them. The good news is that I found a process / product that I feel is very effective at removing these etch marks. Details are in the photo illustrations below.

Small Etch Mark Next to Sink:

Same Etch Mark After Cleaning (proving it's really an etch not dirt):

Etch Removal In Process:

Counter Top After Polishing (Took

Another Etch Mark:

After Polishing:

Here's a Shot of The Product I Used:

My question is, has anyone else used this stuff (or something similar)? Seems pretty easy and effective. Are there reasons that haven't occurred to me on why I shouldn't use this stuff? Is this common knowledge or an exciting development in the world of Marble counter top care here on Gardenweb?

Comments (15)