SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

blown-in insulation around HVAC units in the attic

We need to add blown-in insulation to our attic to raise the R value to something approaching suggested values. We already have roll-in insulation but that was poorly installed by our builder and, even if it had been installed correctly, there is far too little of it. Just 9 inches of Owens Corning batt which, I think, is supposed to give us R-30 but it was so poorly installed, I doubt if we're anywhere close to that.

Anyway, the problem is that our HVAC units are in the attic. (Yes, I know, the attic is a really really stupid place to put HVAC units - especially in Texas! Suffice it to say that when we had the house built, it was NOT our plan to have the HVAC in the attic. In fact, we have two large utility closets where the units were supposed to have gone with the ductwork then being run thru open web trusses between floors so that everything would be within the heated/cooled envelope of the house. BUT, our sorry-a55ed builder unilaterally decided to ignore the specs on our plans and save a little money by using i-beam joists instead of the open web joists specified. That decision made it impossible to run the ductwork between floors as planned which in turn necessitated the two units going into the attic... along with about a gazillion miles of flexible ductwork. GRRR! My blood still boils whenever I think about it! But at this point, there is NOTHING we can do about that short of taking the entire second floor off the house and rebuilding.

But to get back to my current question: What do I need to take into consideration about the two HVAC units when adding blown in insulation? Do I need to be worried about keeping the insulation off of the two units or some specific distance away from them?

The heaters are propane heaters (Carrier brand, I think). Don't know about the AC part. They two units are laying on their sides and those things are HUGE so just trying to get over/around them to reach the parts of the attic that they block requires a contortionist...and a skinny one at that! So adding additional batt insulation would, I think, be impossible.

We're not planning to tackle this project until the weather cools off some, maybe around October or November, but I'm trying to get a handle on what I need to know well in advance. If I need to provide more info, like the model number of the units, I'll be happy to climb up into the attic and find out but I'd appreciate any guidance anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance

Comments (3)