SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_772206339

HVAC Register Condensation; Condensation on exterior of attic unit

Morgan
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

First time poster - I've been chasing an issue over the last month or two in my home. House details:

- 1749sq ft

- single story

- built in 2017

- crawlspace (unconditioned)

- ac unit in attic

- located in central Virginia

The first thing I noticed was condensation on the register in the master bath. This vent is closest to the AC unit upstairs. I removed the register and did not feel any condensation in the ducting. I did notice that the mastic around the boot wasn't attached to the drywall very well, so I picked up some Hardcast 1402 mastic tape to seal the gap (per suggestions in another thread). This did not fix the issue.

I picked up a humidity gauge, and with the AC set to 71 around the clock, I'm seeing around 56-58% humidity in the house. The set point in the unit is 40-45%, so it's clearly having difficulty pulling moisture from the air.

I went into the attic and did not see any condensation on the ductwork, but it is insulated, so it's hard to tell. The boot was completely covered with blown in insulation as well. However, I did notice that the AC unit itself was sweating, with the drain pipe being the worst.

Under the unit:

Drain sweating quite a bit:

That's a fresh puddle directly below this section of the drain. I think that may be mold spores on the piping as well:

Sidenote - Is the drain pipe supposed to have a trap in it?

After reading this thread , it looked like the authors AC unit was oversized and was short cycling. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a similar issue. I plan on calling the company that installed the HVAC system Monday along with the builder to describe the issue and see what their suggestions may be, but is there anything I need to look for?

Potentially related(?) - I noticed condensation in the dryer lint trap this morning. I moved the dryer out of the way and saw condensation inside the vent ducting as well. The duct is 21 feet long (if the plaque is to be believed), and runs down into the crawlspace and out near the foundation. Glancing in the crawlspace, I don't see any standing water, but I did not do a thorough inspection. I'm heading to one of the big-box stores today to grab a dryer duct cleaner to see if there's a blockage there.

Comments (5)