SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flannery2021

Open cell spray foam to the attic and HVAC sizing and Ridge Vent

flannery2021
11 months ago

After roof was finished and ridge vent and eaves soffit were installed and AC duct work was done, my builder realized the attics space is too small for large AC units and we have to go with hybrid insulation - open cell spray foam insulation in attics and batt insulation in walls. He said that would reduce the AC size from 10 tons to 7 tons. My questions are:

1. He suggests closing ridge vent and soffit holes from inside with spray foam. Is that an acceptable practice? Do we need to replace the ridge vent with cap shingle from outside to prevent moisture damage to the roof under the ridge vent?

2. There is a website saying ridge vent is still needed with foam insulation. Do You Need Attic Ventilation With Spray Foam Insulation? (mcclellandsroofing.com) . Is ridge vent needed or not?

3. Foam insulation seals the house tight, would that reduce the air quality inside the house? I prefered batt insulation and breathable house out of this concern. Now we are forced to go with foam insulation, how to keep the air fresh inside the house? He said we could use make up air to bring in fresh air. Should I keep ridge vent and soffit instead?

4. Is open cell foam insulation effective enough to reduce AC unit by 30%? Due to the hard-to-reach space in attics, I am not sure if close cell insulation is an option. Should HVAC be sized differently for open cell foam vs closed cell foam? If Open cell is applied multiple layers, would that achieve the same R value as closed cell foam?

Could anyone help with the answers? Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio