SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahess6488_gw

Comments on my draft floorplan?

ahess6488
14 years ago

Hi all,

Really enjoy this forum and have been reading/learning for a few weeks now. Here's a bit about me and my project:

I bought my Grandma's early 1900s 4-bedroom home last fall after her having owned it for 85 years. It is in great shape though fairly compact at about 1350 sq.ft between the two floors.

I cook frequently and have wanted to renovate the kitchen for some time and am now getting ready to go for it. I'm single so kids/pets etc are less of an issue for me, but in terms of the current layout and other needs in the house, budget is an important factor (seeing as I need to remove knob and tube and re-wire, and am considering blown insulation to brave Ottawa's chilly winters better). I've posted a couple of photos of the existing kitchen space here:

Links to a few photos of my kitchen

In terms of the kitchen space itself, things I'd like to see:

1. Counter space. Simply not enough, and not enough that's usable as prep space near a cooking surface.

2. Bigger Fridge. I don't know the cubic footage of the current fridge but let's just say it's tiny. I cook alot, and this isn't big enough for one person. I'd prefer something in the 21 cu.ft range in terms of size and bottom-mount seems to be a good option

3. Opennness to the dining room. I don't entertain as much as I'd like to in this house because there's nowhere for guests to gather when I'm in the kitchen, and my view to them is cut off by the wall btw kitchen and dining room. So I'd like to take down this wall and as you'll see am looking at floorplans with this wall gone. The dining room can spare 18" or more of its length for this and I've also figured on some penninsula seating (2-3) as well.

I'm not far enough along to know what the cost implications will be in bricking up the door here and building out a deck and new access to the porch. Fortunately I have a contractor friend to help with decking and the labour costs will be less than hiring someone.

Here's the latest draft of my floorplan:

So here are my questions

1. I have a screened-in porch off of the kitchen that I'm debating whether to keep current access to, or to build access to it through a new set of french doors in the dining room. My backyard is really underutilized so space isn't an issue here, and I'm thinking that this will give me the counter space that I need while also opening the dining room up. For discussion's sake though I've linked to a design where this door stays intact

2. I will add a 30" gas slide-in range and right now I've got the stove in the peninsula but have read here (and talked to a few appliance dealers) about the downsides to downdraft ranges. So for that reason I'm thinking a range and hood combo would be better. I do a fair bit of high heat cooking/stir-frying and wouldn't want to have insufficient draw.

I'm not planning/budgeting for separate cooktop and wall oven so either I'll move the range to another location, or look at the island hood option. Any ideas for alternate placement?

3. I've been looking at built-in configurations and my designer suggested a countertop microwave next to the fridge. I would prefer to keep counters free, and thought this could go elsewhere but...um..I don't know where!

Your general comments would of course be welcome. If I can provide more info/photos on anything let me know, and thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (13)