SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Blues On My Mind

John Liu
10 years ago

I ought to hate you for these blues in my mind
What makes me love you, am I losing my mind?
I wonder where I'm gonna wind up
I just can't make my crazy mind up
~ Roy Orbison, "Blues In My Mind"

http://youtu.be/wtSPa20Sft4

I have blues on my mind, although there's no-one to hate about it.

A couple weeks ago, I started buying blue potatoes aka "purple" potatoes) and roasting, french frying, and mashing them. I like the otherworldly color. If various unimpeachable Internet sources are to be believed, the antioxidants and Kryptonite in blue and purple foods also cures any and all ills. The kids think they are yummy.

Now I'm interested in coming up with a dinner of blue and purple foods.

Some searching turned up these foods that are naturally blue, purple, or blackish-purple. Blue potatoes, blueberries, blackberries, purple grapes, purple figs, eggplant, aubergine, blue (purple) carrots, blue cheese, black sweet rice.

I hear a fancy grocery near me sells blue corn tortillas. Someone in Portland sells blue corn masa in case we want to make our own blue tortillas.

It is also apparently possible to turn some red foods blue by adding baking powder, an alkaline that lowers the pH (Cooks Illustrated, Apr 2012 - they did this with red cabbage.)

There are blue cocktails made with blue curaçao.

I'm not sure about blue protein. Blue crab and blue lobster aren't blue when cooked, and are hard to get anyway. So-called "blue meat" is just a term meaning severely undercooked meat. But it seems to me some other fishes have dark purplish skin or at least a pattern containing the color - mackerel come to mind. Some fish have very dark flesh, such as, natch, bluefish (which can be mail ordered, if need be). Of course blue potatoes or blue corn tortillas could be used to crust or wrap un-blue protein.

How about it? Can we come up with a passable dinner menu that is blue - or blue, purple, and black? That tastes good and looks good? Without resorting to food dye?

I'm serious. If we come up with the dinner, I'd like to try making it.

Comments (41)