SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ssamet_gw

Avoid Econar Energy Geothermal Systems

ssamet
13 years ago

In the fall of 2002 we installed an Invision3 closed loop system in a newly constructed single family home. The system has had problems from virtually day one. I've probably spent the geothermal savings in repairs. Here's a list of items that have gone wrong with this unit from what I can remember. This unit is a two compressor unit with the hot water unit. The hot water unit heats 100% of our hot water needs.

* First thing we noticed --- hot water not hot enough. If the unit runs most of the day (hot & cold days) the water is great. Don't recommend the hot water option.

* Hot water or second compressor would continually lock out -- no hot water produced when this happens and no second stage heat. This problem finally went away when the compressor died and Econar reluctantly sent us a new one.

* I've had two fans go out on this unit within the 8 years. The first time this happened, a $700 repair. The second time it happened ... that cut the rope. It's now in the process of being pulled out to the junk yard and replaced with a Climate Master system. GOOD RIDDANCE!

* Issues with fluid leaks inside the unit that have had to be repaired and recharge the closed loop. These leaks took place within the furnace, not the loop. I saw them myself by opening the panel and visibly see them on the bottom tray.

* This unit is very, very noisy and is another reason its heading OUT to the scrap yard.

* Econar corporate, very hard to reach people, getting them to honor warranties a difficult process and they hold you hostage while determining charges. For instance, the compressor, they had to analyze it before shipping out a new one.

* Shipping seems to be a problem area as well. They say its shipped when its not. Continual phone calls made to get the UPS tracking numbers after of course they finally ship it.

* Repeatedly call Econar asking for help and consideration, to no avail.

* Some of the parts were obviously not engineered for consistency. For example, the fan unit would not install due to housing not fitting into the unit. My technician had to waste several hours taking the old motor out of its housing unit, put the new motor in then install into furnace unit. Oh, and I distinctly remember Econar failed to program the fan unit. SO guess what, we were out of service again while the unit traveled back to Appleton MN and back to my house. Econar will not send out replacement parts for their screw ups. The fan was kind of a red light that I knew we would probably have to junk this unit for a new one at some point. I was just hoping to get 5 or 10 more years of good operation. Not going to happen -- the fan died again.

Support, customer service and shipping are all equally incompetent. When the unit works, it works well, except that its loud. I've had it with the unit. My technician will not install Econar units any more either. He now installs Climatemastaser systems for several years and reports they are of high quality with a much smaller frequency of problems than Econar systems.

Climatemaster has parts readily available in my area and we can deal with them in a neighboring town not far away as well. Dealing with voice mails and parts hassles will not be missed by my technician.

Comments (2)