SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brickton

Geothermal Estimate and possible Plan B

brickton
14 years ago

I have a question about a geothermal quote and a possibly alternative. As one other poster put it, please treat me like a rather slow, but sweet, child in this matter.

So we're planning a build in upstate NY and we are hoping to use Geothermal for our 2,000 sq ft - 2 floor - 2x6 - w/Spray Foam - ICF foundation house. We have an initial quote back from a geothermal guy that we've worked with before (servicing a system in a house we bought) that came back with this for an initial estimate:

1 - Heat Controller Geothermal heating and cooling unit ( 3.25 Ton cooling capacity, should supply 90% of your heat and 100% of your air conditioning )

( AHRI performance certified & Energy Star Listed )

1 - Supplemental heat coil and high capacity circulator

( to distribute supplemental gas heat to air stream, above geothermal unit )

1 - Jackson Systems Zone Control System -

3 - Independent digital Heating & Cooling zone control thermostats

Z1- Main Floor Living Areas - beige 4 x 10 floor supply registers

Z2 -Main Floor Bedroom & Bath - beige 4 x 10 floor supply registers

Z3 - Second Floor - white bulls-eye type ceiling supply registers

( 13" O.D. trunk to attic for distribution of Z3 )

( over insulated to R-30 minimum, by others )

Z4 - Lower Level ( spare for future use )

1 - 1 sq.ft. central floor return - toward central part of main floor

3 - zone control damper drives

6 - ALLERGY/DUST/ANIMAL DANDER/ POLLEN stop air filters

* - Misc ducts, control interface, pipes, control wires, etc. to complete within the home

$ 22,000 - $ 24,000

Not included in estimate but required

1 - Bradford White gas heat source and DHW tank ( 90+ % AFUE efficient / 3" PVC vented )

( 50 gallon storage / 60,000 BTUH burner capacity )

( should supply the other 10 % of your heat and 100% of your domestic hot water )

Now I fully understand why the system is sized for 90% heating and I'm even okay with the price tag (though I was hoping for $15-$18 before the tax break). Does this sound like a reasonable quote?

The next part of the question is, the system is an open-loop system so it obviously has well water requirements. If my well does not meet those requirements, I'm not going to have a second well dug, I'm going to go with a non-geothermal system. Is the following a reasonable option, or the ponderings of a non-HVAC person over his head (or both):

Get the supplemental heat coil and high capacity distributor from above with the Bradford White propane water heater and buy a wood furnace. The wood furnace would provide the majority of my heat but the propane water heater + heat exchanger would provide the 'keep it above 60 when the fire goes out at night' amount of heat (or if we're out of town / out of the house / etc.).

Would I just be better off getting an oil furnace / wood furnace combo and a water heater? I like the idea of the propane water heater because I could power vent it out the side instead of needing ANOTHER chimney (I'm going to have a woodstove on the main floor with either option, so I would prefer to have only 2 stacks, not 3)

Obviously using propane to heat water and then change it back to air heat is less efficient that oil, but if it's good enough for the backup/supplement on my geo-thermal system, is it good enough for the backup/supplement of a wood furnace?

Comments (12)