SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjaero19473

Traditional Heat-Pump, Geothermal, or other?

rjaero19473
14 years ago

Hi,

My wife and I are building a new home in northern Alabama. I am familiar with the different manufacturers of heat pumps and geothermal units, but not so much with the specifics of the different models, pricing, quality.

Before I go into further detail, let me describe the house. We are building a two story house with a finished walkout basement. The walkout is underground along 2-1/2 walls, with the back wall (faces east) and part of the southern facing wall exposed. The main floor is our primary living area and contains an office, kitchen, and master bedroom. The second floor is mainly for future children and guests at this point, so for at least the near future it will only be used by guests and potentially a second office. The finished portion of the basement is roughly 1,100 sq ft, the first floor is ~ 1,800 sq ft. and the second floor is ~ 1,000 sq ft (with the option to expand into the attic and create a 200 sq.ft.guest bedroom/bath, which we plan to do in the future).

We are very interested in energy efficiency, but are also concerned with cost. I have no problem putting in 50% more for a more efficient system, if the additional investment could be recouped in ~5 years. I plan to put in efficient Marvin Integrity windows, as well as some sort of blown insulation (what type, I'm not sure, that's another discussion).

The builders we are talking to seem to stick with either American Standard or Carrier units. I have also talked with two companies who install Water Furnace geothermal heat pumps in our area. It's been hard to get a good estimate o the geothermal units because a lot depends on whether we can get the contractor to dig the pits for the water pipe runs. From what I discern, it will cost about $20k, but we could get a 30% government rebate on top of that. Also, if we were to get the contractor to dig the pits then probably knock a few thousand more off.

My question to the community is: 1) is it worth spending the additional money for the Geothermal unit? 2) if not, then what type of traditional heat pumps should I be looking at? any particular brands/models? 3) is there another option I should consider?

Thanks!

Bob

Comments (31)