SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

oil-gas conversion

ionized_gw
15 years ago

Short form:

Is it possible and advisable to install a natural gas burner in a boiler that is currently equipped with an oil burner?

Long form:

I used to read a lot here and post occasionally when I was getting into how air conditioning works in a humid environment. Thanks to everyone who contributed to my education. I have not owned a home since Katrina flooded mine, but I hope to be back with renewed interest when I get out of a rental with window shakers and into my own home again.

My parents have a 50 YO oil-fired boiler on its second burner. ItÂs had top-notch care (annual service under contract with the same company the whole time) and runs all year as a water heater which my father likes to speculate kept the boiler in good shape. My parents are at an age where a large capital outlay for a new boiler would not make economic sense for them.

If the numbers crunch correctly and indicate that gas is going to be lot cheaper than fuel oil this winter, would it make sense to try and install a gas burner in the existing boiler?

One thing that my dad thinks about is, what if fuel oil then becomes less expensive than gas? Could he switch back?

I donÂt know what brand the boiler is, but I know I have seen a few of them, Sunnyside, Sunnydale or something like that, maybe. I can find out. The boiler has coils and not a reservoir of any kind. The oil tank is in the basement. There is gas service connected only to a dryer. They had that done when gas lines were extended into their rural area. (There was a good deal for that at the time.) They are in upstate NY (Chenango county) in a pretty tight home.

Comment (1)