SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kay2000

Whirlpool Washing Machine WTW58ESVW

kay2000
15 years ago

We bought this top-loading machine a week ago and I am not very pleased with the energy saving features which limit what I need in a washer. My fault for not doing more research in advance. I needed a model to match our dryer, but I should have purchased the Whirlpool model 5300.

I like to add liquid detergent as the washer is filling and then add the clothes. On this model, nothing happens as long as the lid is open... nothing. I have to add detergent and clothes, close the lid and then make my selections. I looked everywhere for the bypass feature and finally found it, almost impossible to use it due to its obscure location.

If you open the lid at any time, the low-fill water feature will reset and it will allow the tub to fill to the top. Since the tub is 4.0, that is a lot of water. I would love to have had the feature of my old Whirlpool to select the water level (as also in the current model 5300).

I feel that the energy saving reduced water usage does more damage to clothing in that the agitator is so active with barely any water... no room for the clothes to move about freely.

You can lift the lid about 3/4" during any cycle to peek in and see the water level and activity. If you lift more than that, the water level will reset and fill to the top. Since I like more water in the tub for cleaning, I have to always go back to the washer and lift the lid to make sure I get a full tub of water.

If you choose to use the washer as designed, there is a setting to have a full tub for rinse. The washer will use reduced water for wash and rinse, you can choose an Extra Rinse setting for all washes and that setting will fill the tub with water for one full extra rinse.

BTW, on my first use of the washer, it was so loud in the rinse cycle, I thought it was about to explode. Turns out, the installers didn't balance the machine legs properly. We got a Leveler and made sure the front legs were level, spins perfectly now.

Our old Whirlpool washer was 15 yrs. old and started leaking water. First the water only leaked into the tub, so we started turning off the water inlet valves to the washer. Then, it started to leak from the tub onto the floor. That was it, had to get a new one. I didn't realize how much I liked the old one until I got the new one. As time goes by, maybe I'll be able to accept the energy saving features, but for now, I vote against this model because, AFAIK, there is no way to override that feature.

Comments (11)