SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockmanor

system dehumidifier vs. 2-stage A/C

rockmanor
15 years ago

We have multiple HVAC systems in our new house, and as is common here, they are just basic builder grade equipment. As is also typical here, they are oversized and don't run nearly long enough to get the humidity to an appropriate level for the allergy sufferers in our family.

As soon as we close on the sale of another house, I plan to replace two main floor systems with higher SEER two-stage equipment. However, I'm wondering if for the walk-out basement we might be better off having a dehumidifier installed instead? My concern is that in the spring and fall when the A/C or heat don't need to run, we will experience high humidity as we did this spring, even if a two-stage A/C handles the humidity just fine in the summer.

I've read about "whole house" dehumidifiers, costing around $1,500+, that should handle the approx. 2500 SF in the lower level. That's a big savings over a new two-stage 16 - 19 SEER system, and would have the added benefit of dehumidifying the space when the temps are too mild to require heating or cooling. I'd replace the current equipment with a two-stage system once it reaches the end of its useful life, but sure wouldn't mind delaying that expense for a while.

Am I overlooking something? Is there a better way to handle the situation? Thanks.

Comments (2)