SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

Cleaning a Self-Cleaning oven safely?

stinky-gardener
12 years ago

Last November bought a new Frigidaire Gallery stainless electric range. I recently cooked a pork loin in the oven without foil or a cover over the pork and the oil that I had coated the meat with splattered all over the inside of the oven! It's so gross, and it really stuck on the inside surfaces. I didn't realize I had used that much oil!

I hesitate to use the self-cleaning feature on this oven, as it warns in the manual, 1) to do this on a cool day-the temp will be extremely hot (eek.) 2) to remove pet birds from the room, as the fumes generated could be fatal to them (double eek!)

I don't have pet birds, but as many of you here know, I do have a small, aging cat with health issues. I don't want to cause her harm. Also, I suspect these fumes, while perhaps not fatal to humans, may be detrimental to them!

I saw that there is an Easy-Off Fume Free oven cleaner that is supposed to be safe for self-cleaning ovens, but when I read their online FAQ, they said to turn the oven on for 15 minutes at 300 degrees after using the cleaner and before using the oven to bake food. During this process, they caution that small animals, especially small birds, are at risk due to the fumes & smoke, and to remove the creatures from the room until all the smoke has cleared.

Good grief! Is there no truly safe way to clean a self-cleaning oven? Any suggestions?

Btw, my manual says not to use any abrasive pads or cleaners. Am I stuck with a greasy range that's not even a year old yet?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz