SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jac0404

Old house - air conditioning advice

jac0404
14 years ago

I live in a 1922 stucco 1 1/2 story bungalow in minneapolis. My house has radiator (steam) heating (so no ductwork), and no air conditing. The basement is finished, but the attic is not (and won't be; too steep to be of any real use).

As part of a city program, I can have central air conditining installed in my bungalow, provided however, that the city says it won't do any of these things when installing air conditioning:

1) cut floor joists to tuck ductwork into space;

2) install ductwork inside finished walls;

3) install ductwork tight to roof rafters that may cause ice damming problems;

4) install supply branch ductwork with long runs & numerous elbows that may restrict airflow;

5) run duct extensions in the event I won't allow closet or living space for chase locations;

6) install booster fans inside supply ducts to increase airflow;

7) provide soffits for existing exposed ductwork;

8) provide "ductless" A/C units for small rooms

Basic quesiton, really: do these limits create a serious problem? I would assume that the best way to install A/C in my house is to run it in the attic with drop down vents into each of the first floor rooms (and ignore the finished basement, which is cool enough as it is). I'm just very concerned about getting city contractors installing A/C in a way that isn't best for the home. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (3)