SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Wild vs. Farmed salmon?

jessyf
16 years ago

Jimster and I started talking about wild vs. farmed salmon on Terri's thread about Copper salmon. He has some points I had not seen before. I think this is an important topic for our health and environment so I'm starting a thread for cat fights discussion.

Here is the text, for those who are too lazy to click and scroll.

Also, I'll post more info from the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood watch program about Chinese farmed Tilapia (you can guess...).

RE: Copper River Salmon..jumped into my cart today.. clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 19:34

I LOVE salmon chowder! And I don't buy farmed salmon anymore (which means I pretty much don't eat salmon :-(

I'm jealous

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Copper River Salmon..jumped into my cart today.. clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by terri_pacnw (My Page) on Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 1:11

Jessy, you can't get wild caught? They don't ship Copper River to CA? I figured they would. I only buy wild caught seafood..in fact our local fish monger just put up a sign saying local shrimp are in!!! I've got to stop and get some for hubby.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by jimster (My Page) on Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 1:38

I prefer fish I catch myself and eat the same day. BUT, there is a big misunderstanding about "farm" raised salmon. Salmon which is raised in large pens in the North Atlantic is of excellent quality. It is fed high quality food and is processed quickly after harvesting. Its freshness is far superior to fish caught by boats which are at sea for days at a time. Farm raised salmon is suitable for sushi, whereas wild salmon is not, unless frozen at a very low temperature to destroy parasites that wild salmon ingest by feeding on natural food sources. Farm raised Atlantic salmon is a great value IMO.

I don't think the same principles apply to seafood raised in warm water ponds such as shrimp, catfish and tilapia. I could be wrong.

Jim

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 7:17

Terri: Wild isn't as available down here. It comes and goes in spurts. I prefer fresh - I use frozen only when I'm hiding it in something like puff pastry or phyllo with lots of sauce. I'll keep my eyes out!

Jim - I use Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood watch program as my guide. Sounds like there are some, but not all, farmed sources to consider but one can't know where they sell so for now they recommend to avoid all farmed stuff. I'd like to be convinced otherwise! My BIL's sister is in the industry, he says that she won't touch farmed salmon. Got any questions I can run by her?

Tilapia: I don't eat Chinese tilapia (irks me to pick up a bag of 'American Seafood' frozen tilapia, small print on the back 'Made in China') - report also on the linked site. I once made a half hearted attempt to find USA tilapia, I think its time I tried again. Chinese tilapia: now I know why DH and others complain that its 'muddy'! Ack!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seafood Watch - salmon

Posted by chase (My Page) on Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 7:31

Great site Jessy! I've bookmarked it.

Posted by jimster (My Page) on Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 18:23

Most of the wild vs. farmed salmon controversy is political. The Monterey Bay Aquarium, for example, is in the business of advocating for sustainable fish populations. So their information is slanted in the direction of persuading us to do what is best (in their opinion) for the fish populations, not so much what is best on our dinner plate. They are pretty picky in their speculation of things which may possibly contaminate farmed salmon, but not concerned about contaminants in pond raised catfish or tilapia.

As a conservationist and recreational fisherman, I am sympathetic to preservation of fish stocks. I have seen the striped bass virtually disappear from Cape Cod waters and then, fortunately, make an astounding comeback. I could relate many stories like that one, some with less fortunate outcomes. But that is a different issue from food safety.

One of the few scientific studies I could find comparing wild to farmed salmon found parasites in every one of the sampled wild fish and none in the farmed fish. Other studies, looking for toxins such as PCBs, found insignificant differences at the parts per billion level between wild and farmed.

Atlantic salmon is raised in large pens which are constantly flushed with tons of cold sea water. The ocean is large. Waste products are quickly diluted, unlike ponds where the same water is recirculated again and again. The salmon are fed a carefully formulated diet, just as farm animals are. Farmed salmon are not exposed to parasites as wild fish are in foraging for food. BTW, wild fish do not become infected with parasites from penned fish as is suggested by the Monterey Bay site. The penned fish have no parasites.

An issue has been made about substances used color the flesh of the fish. The substances used are carotinoids, the same as used in chicken feed to give the chicken a nice color and the same as occur in fruits and vegetables. This issue makes me recall the days when dairy farmers in some states were able to have yellow color prohibited from use in margarine, making the pale stuff less appealing. Ironically, commercial butter often gets an assist from carotene too.

I frequently make gravlox, using farmed Atlantic salmon. That way I can chow down inexpensively on a very tasty treat. I would not use wild salmon for this. Nor would I use wild salmon for sushi. Wild salmon is not suitable for raw eating unless is is first frozen to subzero temperatures to kill parasites.

This long post barely scratches the surface or the wild vs. farmed salmon controversy. There are many issues. For example, I suspect that the availability of farmed salmon takes fishing pressure off the wild stocks. Doesn't that make sense?

Unless I hear something convincing, I'll continue to enjoy lots of farmed salmon.

Jim

Posted by chase (My Page) on Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 18:38

Jim, I find your posts to be very interesting and informative. You started out a bit shy but I am so glad the you have come "in to your own" on the forum. You are a valuable, knowledgeable contributor and I mean that sincerely. Hopefully you will stick around.

PS: But I'm still avoiding farm raised salmon, off shore shrimp, Atlantic sole (flounder) and the dreaded tilapia! But give me fresh lake perch, pike, pickerel...I think you call it Walleye...and send me to heaven.

Posted by jimster (My Page) on Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 19:21

Chase,

I can't tell you how warm and welcoming your post is. Thank you. Here's to many more.

Jim

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 21:59

What Chase said, Jim, I enjoy a civil discussion. I've had my share of nastiness on forums. It sounds like you are closer to the industry than I am, so I'm going to start a new thread for further visibility and discussion. Truth be told I get 'lazy' about researching and 'arguing' issues after a few back and forths so I'm hoping someone else will jump in...

Meantime, my BIL wrote back to me...

'Jessica is right. Farmed salmon worldwide have significantly higher levels of PCBs, dioxins, dieldrin, and toxaphene than wild salmon. So much so that salmon from some locales triggered consumption recommendations of 1/2 to 1 meal per month. The contaminants are (largely) in the feed, not the water.

This was reported in 'Science' in 2004 and several subsequent studies have reported similar results. Generally, farmed salmon from Europe is more contaminated than farmed salmon from North and South America. The most contaminated samples coming from Scotland.

Further, Consumer Reports found that in a sample of 23 store bought 'wild' salmon packages, only 10 (or was it 13) were actually wild. The rest were mislabeled farmed salmon.

Tilapia in China is often raised in water contaminated with municipal waste water (heavy metals, pesticides, and industrial waste). I don't have the studies at hand that reported this, but they're out there. Viet Nam raised tilapia, I believe was the least contaminated.

If your interested in this, google it. The science is there.'

Comments (43)

• jimster
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for setting up this thread, Jessy. Now we can have a really fun food fight!

But seriously, I hope we can uncover information which will be useful to Cooking Forum members. There seems to be strong opinions on both sides and it's not easy, even with Google, to find a lot that's definitive.

Jim

• zbach
    16 years ago

Hi Jimster

If interested, start with:
    "Global Assessment of Organic Contaminants in Farmed Salmon" at http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/303/5655/226

'Science' is a world leading journal of scientific research for those not familiar with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/303/5655/226

• Related Discussions

RM Totes V.S. Comercial Worm Farms

Q

Comments (3)
    Surface Area. Although similar, if only using one tray of worm farm so far then the surface or working area of the tub might have double the square feet of the commercial worm farm if you are not using all of the trays yet. Worm Source: If your worms are from a kitchen scrap compost heap they were already eating similar food If purchased they may have been eating something else your, new?, system is not yet providing the level of microbes they are used to? I bet there are better answers out there. I hope to read and and learn..
    ...See More

Can anyone find me the link about farmed vs. wild fish?

Q

Comments (19)
    There are two separate issues here. There is the issue of food safety and wholesomeness. And there is the issue of fish stock protection and preservation. Monterey Bay Aquarium's mission is the second one and they use the first as one of the arguments to support their case. I'm interested in both issues and sympathetic to both. But, here of the food forum, I think safety and wholesomeness of what we eat is the main concern. I think it has been established that salmon raised in pens flushed by the tides with unlimited quantities of sea water and fed a carefully formulated diet are high quality fish. Wild salmon, like any other wild fish is also fine with me, but it is a notch below the farmed salmon in quality I believe. By feeding off natural organisms there is some chance of being contaminated by parasites or bacteria. Not enough to worry me much, but enough for me to prefer farmed salmon for lox and sushi. The freshness of farmed salmon is another point in its favor. There is no delay between harvesting and processing. Wild fish spend some time, maybe a little, maybe a lot, in the hold of a boat prior to being landed. Again, I am not against eating wild caught fish, but farm raised salmon can't be bear in that resepect. I do avoid pond raised catfish, tilapia and shrimp. I suspect those shallow, warm water ponds must be overcrowded and unsanitary. It's not at all like salmon pens in the North Atlantic or the North Pacific. Yet, from the point of view of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, pond raised seafood should be highly preferred. Jim
    ...See More

Copper River Salmon..jumped into my cart today..

Q

Comments (14)
    Most of the wild vs. farmed salmon controversy is political. The Monterey Bay Aquarium, for example, is in the business of advocating for sustainable fish populations. So their information is slanted in the direction of persuading us to do what is best (in their opinion) for the fish populations, not so much what is best on our dinner plate. They are pretty picky in their speculation of things which may possibly contaminate farmed salmon, but not concerned about contaminants in pond raised catfish or tilapia. As a conservationist and recreational fisherman, I am sympathetic to preservation of fish stocks. I have seen the striped bass virtually disappear from Cape Cod waters and then, fortunately, make an astounding comeback. I could relate many stories like that one, some with less fortunate outcomes. But that is a different issue from food safety. One of the few scientific studies I could find comparing wild to farmed salmon found parasites in every one of the sampled wild fish and none in the farmed fish. Other studies, looking for toxins such as PCBs, found insignificant differences at the parts per billion level between wild and farmed. Atlantic salmon is raised in large pens which are constantly flushed with tons of cold sea water. The ocean is large. Waste products are quickly diluted, unlike ponds where the same water is recirculated again and again. The salmon are fed a carefully formulated diet, just as farm animals are. Farmed salmon are not exposed to parasites as wild fish are in foraging for food. BTW, wild fish do not become infected with parasites from penned fish as is suggested by the Monterey Bay site. The penned fish have no parasites. An issue has been made about substances used color the flesh of the fish. The substances used are carotinoids, the same as used in chicken feed to give the chicken a nice color and the same as occur in fruits and vegetables. This issue makes me recall the days when dairy farmers in some states were able to have yellow color prohibited from use in margarine, making the pale stuff less appealing. Ironically, commercial butter often gets an assist from carotene too. I frequently make gravlox, using farmed Atlantic salmon. That way I can chow down inexpensively on a very tasty treat. I would not use wild salmon for this. Nor would I use wild salmon for sushi. Wild salmon is not suitable for raw eating unless is is first frozen to subzero temperatures to kill parasites. This long post barely scratches the surface or the wild vs. farmed salmon controversy. There are many issues. For example, I suspect that the availability of farmed salmon takes fishing pressure off the wild stocks. Doesn't that make sense? Unless I hear something convincing, I'll continue to enjoy lots of farmed salmon. Jim
    ...See More

Any Salmon Experts Out There?

Q

Comments (27)
    I'm not a salmon expert but we live in Seattle and eat fresh (summer/fall) and frozen salmon (winter/spring) weekly. We only eat wild caught salmon from the Pacific. I have always been disappointment in the flavor of Atlantic salmon I've eaten. From my experience the color varies across species. For example, sockeye has the richest darkest color. King is often lighter. The color does seem to affect flavor, but I think the most important factor to my palette is freshness. The fresher the wildcaught pacific salmon is when eaten or frozen the better it tastes. We buy frozen from a local vendor that fillets and freezes on the boat so the frozen when defrosted still tastes great. The other thing is not to overcook it. I find defrosted frozen salmon takes less time to cook. If you live somewhere that does not have good access to really fresh salmon then I'd buy frozen and try and source boat processed salmon. I haven't tried Costco salmon but they are a Seattle company and I do think they source, in general, pretty good quality products. If you like it then really that's all that matters. Also, largely you get what you pay for with salmon. The exception is that if it's the first of the season it's a rip off and if it's the height of the season it's a great deal. But wild will typically cost more than farmed and Pacific probably more than Atlantic and those price differences are worth it IMHO.
    ...See More
  • Gina_W
    16 years ago

I've been trying to stay away from "hot topics" here - especially in this election year, lest I give myself a daily conniption. On this issue, I have read many, many documents and I am with Jim. I eat farmed salmon and I think it is safe. Without going deeply into my analyses - because at some point I have to write my Idol review (important!) and go to bed, I believe that many important issues have become so politicized that it's difficult to see over the BS and get the real info.

And speaking of Idol - the latest attempt at curbing malaria in Africa is for charities to distribute mosquito nets. It's a crime - a flipping crime. DDT is the answer - it would save MILLIONS of lives a year, but no, DDT is a poltical bogeyman and cannot be used ever, ever again. Even if it could save those MILLIONS of African lives. Read about it.

Okay I'm done I swear. I am not participating in any more such discussions. I only implore all of you to search the web and read source documents and different analysis of these hot issues. You may change your mind about many things. Here are a couple of my recent bookmarks you can slog through:

Why I left Greenpeace.

The case for Skepticism on Global Warming.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I'm not really caring one way or the other..I just prefer "local"...

however..this is my thought on using the internet for one's "opinion".

Can't you truly google any answer that will side with one's arguement?? either side?

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Read them all - and read the source documents for their arguments (I finished my Idol review - I'm going to bed now - I am!!)

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Chase, I agree with you on the lake perch, the walleye, pike. Yum, fresh Michigan lake fish

Jimster, I also much prefer the wild salmon I catch myself. Unfortunately, the score so far since last fall is Salmon: 3, Annie: 0. After Sunday's fishing, it appears that the Steelhead are also going to prevail, LOL.

Luckily, I have a couple of packages of fresh and locally caught walleye in my freezer. I know salmon is good for me and I'll toss a piece on the grill with some of Jessica's lime chipotle glaze and be pretty happy, but I'd rather have the walleye.

Terri, given the fact that I haven't really decided yet WHAT I think about this issue, I've been looking all over for information and I agree that you can find nearly anything you're looking for on the Web. I think everyone just has to wade through it, consider the source the information came from and make an informed decision. Sigh. It should be easier to know, shouldn't it?

That's why I'm counting on my local fishermen to provide me with salmon. Fortunately, several are willing to swap their freshly caught salmon for some of my homegrown beef, making it possible for me to avoid buying salmon altogether. More salmon are caught out of Lake Michigan than many parts of the Pacific Northwest, but it's illegal to sell, it's sport fishing only. So, I barter.

Annie

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I don't want to complicate matters, but just a reminder that wild salmon are few and far between. If we're going to compare salmon, then there are at least three categories: Wild salmon, hatchery salmon and farmed salmon.

The salmon that's caught isn't necessarily "wild"; the differences are significant. Wild salmon suffer because of the misconception that hatchery salmon are a suitable substitute.

Carol

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

There is also a huge difference in "non-wild" salmon.
    Most of the Atlantic farmed salmon we get here is much less flavorful than the stuff sold as wild.
    But my fishmonger (don't you love that word? somebody on the forum used it the other day so I thought I would too) has a "Scottish organic salmon" that I prefer to the "wild." She doesn't call it farmed, but just explains to customers where it comes from. It's raised in huge pens that are moved frequently to new areas of ocean. It's deep-colored and full-flavored, with lovely texture.

• User
    16 years ago

I have not researched this subject myself , rather I have relied on the information provided by my fishmonger. I have no idea if he is right but he really knows his fish and has been in business a long time.

He maintains that farm raised can be just as good or better than wild caught. It depends on the quality of the farming operation.

He is very particular on what farm raised fish he buys, and his prices reflect it! He refuses to carry any fish or seafood from China, Viet Nam etc. becasue of questionable standards and practices.

His advice to me has been to avoid any farm raised fish that is sold in your local chain grocery stores , especially if it is on sale. The price point they offer it at, even given their volume discounts , suggests to him that it is a poor quality farm raised. The exception is Costco. He says their farm raised salmon is of a very high quality.

Despite what he says I tend to stick with his wild caught product , I just like the taste and texture better. I do avoid all fish and seafood from SE Asia.

• jessyf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ack Gina I'm sorry you and anyone else see this as a 'hot' topic. I choose to see it as an informational one. There are many more things for me to become upset over, and salmon just isn't one of them. I'll keep reading this thread, but I implore everyone to grab a nice warm mug of tea or coffee and relax..

I know one can find information for both sides of any topic, all over the web.

Annie - wasn't walleye what we tried to cook when I was there? I pretty much ruined it because I had no clue what it was?

Carol I've never heard of 'hatchery' vs farmed vs wild...so yes, please DO complicate things!

Cloudy, I'm a bit confused as to why the pens are moved. Jimster, above, says 'Atlantic salmon is raised in large pens which are constantly flushed with tons of cold sea water. The ocean is large'.

Jimster - I caught something above (ar ar ar pun intended) you typed - that MBA is 'pretty picky in their speculation of things which may possibly contaminate farmed salmon, but not concerned about contaminants in pond raised catfish or tilapia.' I don't know about catfish (not kosher), but I did read about tilapia, and I linked a 36 page report that put me to sleep a couple of times, and I believe contaminants are discussed.

Chase funny about Costco. Their salmon (farmed) is the only kind that looks good, and I do buy it when I have crowds to feed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tilapia report

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I can't speak to other areas, but here on the West Coast 4 out of 5 salmon in the rivers are "hatched" rather than naturally spawned.

It's kind of the equivalent of keeping an endangered species alive only in zoos. We lose genetic diversity when the majority of the salmon are, shall we say, domesticated. Hatchery fish are bred to survive in hatcheries but they're weaker as adults. When they're released, if they breed with naturally spawned salmon, that weakness is transmitted to the next generation. The result is fewer salmon because they don't have the strength to survive the rigors of the adult stage. These salmon are also more susceptible to parasites, which again is transmitted to wild stock.

Environmentally another issue is hatchery salmon are bred and released on a schedule which may or may not correspond to ocean capacity. Wild salmon follow natural cycles which vary from region to region, stream to stream. What's that old commercial? Don't mess with Mother Nature.

OK, I'm very, very calm. I'm having my tea, LOL. I think it's an interesting subject too and I'm not at all bothered that there are differences of opinion. It keeps life interesting.

Carol

• shambo
    16 years ago

I'm having coffee right now and am finding this thread immensely interesting. I read an article in my local paper (Sacramento Bee) the other day about California shutting down the fishing season for chinook salmon, and I live near the Nimbus Hatchery for salmon & steelhead trout. The American River Salmon Festival is held there every year.

I've read a few articles and seen a few TV shows about farmed salmon, but I think this thread will be most informative. So, thank you Jessy for starting this up. I'm eager to learn more.

Nimbus Hatchery:
    http://dfg.ca.gov/fish/hatcheries/nimbus/index.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: Shutdown of Chinook Salmon Fishing

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

Jessy, a lot of farmed salmon is raised in estuaries, where there is, I guess, much less vigorous flushing out. As to why the pens in the open ocean must be moved, I'll ask the fish lady if I see her tomorrow. How deep the pens are would be critical, I think; below the level of the waves the sea may be very calm, and the droppings simply drop and stay there. Whether that matters for the health of the fish would also depend on the depth of the water, right?

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Nope, Jessica, that was steelhead, a native trout. It was already ruined, LOL, because it's very strong. I pretty much only like it smoked or cooked with lots of seasoning.

And, just as I read this thread, I got my email from Eating Well, with a very informative article about the wild vs farm salmon debate, from the health angle to the environmental angle to the theory that if we choose to eat farmed Atlantic salmon it very well may destroy the wild populations to the point where it's all we're going to be able to eat because everything else is gone. Is that true? Darned if I know, but here is the link, decide for yourself.

annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild vs. Farm Raised Salmon (Eating Well)

• fenworth
    16 years ago

"The most contaminated samples coming from Scotland." - EJBIL

"But my fishmonger has a "Scottish organic salmon" that I prefer to the "wild." - Christine

Maybe contaminants taste good? LOL.

It's been about a year since I stopped eating tuna when there was a report that even top Sushi places were serving tuna that had levels of mercury that made it unfit for human consumption.

Something tells me I should stop reading this thread or else salmon will be next on my list. That would make me sad.

• jessyf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol and Cloudy, gotcha. Shambo I'll look at your link.

Annie I read that article (hint to those who haven't clicked yet: start on page five or so). Um are sea lice kosher? Just kidding. The operative term for me in that article is 'forsaking farmed salmon for wild might actually press the salmon aquaculture industry to change.' Speak up with your wallet, which ever side of the debate we fall on! Too bad we can't choose which Heparin to buy (another story, google 'chinese heparin')

fenworth/James: reminds me of folks who don't drink milk or give it to their kids because of some of the problems with milk. Overlooking the fact that the calcium and protein benefits outweigh the cons. That may or may not apply here.

Gina how is your blood pressure (or are your fingers in your ears 'la la la'). Don't answer that, I'm just baiting you (another groaner from EJ hee hee).

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Okay I just asked the question about each side being able to produce googled references on any subject, because well..I don't have hours to sit and read both sides..I'd rather have a trust worthy authority direct me. LOL

and it's true..you can certainly find a back up to anyone's side of any arguement on the net.

So then Carol, our elementary school got with a local hatchery and was given 500 salmon eggs (last year) and 250 this year to raise in a tank at school, then they are/were released in a local stream. Is that wrong? Last year was a huge success as far as getting the eggs to hatch and the release at the stream. Most of the eggs hatched and the tank became over crowded quickly! This year they went with half seeing as so many surived last year, and it was really difficult to maintain the water toxin levels. This year they aquired the half, and yesterday I noticed only 2 or 3 alive and "thriving"....They had trouble this year with teachers keeping up with the cleaning duties!!!! Such a waste. And a huge lesson for the kids..although, I don't think it's been expressed to the 4th grade classes (their Steward Project), the "real" reason the success rate is so awful.
    Does this then do the opposite of what the "premise" was? To add and strengthen these particular salmons numbers in the wild? Without #2 son here I can't tell you which species it is. We were in on the project last year when he was in 4th grade.

• zbach
    16 years ago

Gina,

They must have heard your plea wrt DDT.

Since 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) has been recommending the use of indoor spraying of DDT in areas of chronic malaria transmission. The Environment Defense Fund, Sierra Club, and the Endangered Wildlife Trust now endorse the use of indoor residual spraying of DDT.

From WHO's website:

"We must take a position based on the science and the data," said Dr Arata Kochi, Director of WHO’s Global Malaria Programme. “One of the best tools we have against malaria is indoor residual house spraying. Of the dozen insecticides WHO has approved as safe for house spraying, the most effective is DDT.”

• Lars
    16 years ago

I read the Eating Well article, and it convinced me to continue boycotting farm raised salmon. I love salmon, and I want the wild populations to remain safe. I've paid as much as $27 a pound for Copper River wild caught salmon, which is more than I pay for Ahi sashimi. The Santa Monica Seafood Company has the best salmon I've found in L.A., and even at prices that high (or higher), they can't always keep it in stock. I haven't seen it there for a while, but I will check back in May.

Lars

• zbach
    16 years ago

My bil volunteered with WHO for 25yrs as an entomologist working on the 'river blindness' epidemic in Africa. One time he told an anecdotal story of villagers who got their hands on a surplus 55 gal drum of pesticide. They dumped it in a small contained lake and after a period of time harvested the fish that floated to the top. He said it was very difficult to convince them this was not a good way to fish.

Maybe the villager were right. Maybe the cancer risk (1 in a 10?, 1 in 100?) was an acceptable cost as they understood it. After all, the avg life expectancy in this area was around 19.

For this discussion, the EPA fish consumption guideline is based on:

'the number of meals an individual should not exceed in a month in order not to exceed an added cancer risk of one in 100,000 for these substances (PCBs, dioxins, toxaphene) over a range of concentrations. A meal is defined as an eight-ounce portion of fish, and the number of meals per month applies to an adult consuming fish over a 70 year period.' (http://www.albany.edu/ihe/salmonstudy/recommendations.html)

I still eat Costco salmon, just not the 2 to 3 times a week I used to. Below is a link to a chart showing EPA recommended salmon consumption based on geographical origin of the fish

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.albany.edu/ihe/salmonstudy/graph1.html

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

Oh, my goodness, Scotland is close to "no times a month."
    More questions for the fish lady. She is very particular about quality; I go to the market she's in just to buy fish, even though it's not convenient. I don't really want to review all the literature, though, heaven knows. So I won't know enough to ask the right questions. I'll try. Often she's cutting up a huge salmon and someone else waits on you, though.

• jimster
    16 years ago

zbach,

I don't get the significance of the story about Africans poisoning fish to this discussion. I don't think those folks were calculating risk/benefit ratios or even thinking in those terms. I think they saw it as an easy way to get some food and were oblivious to the risk.

Jim

• zbach
    16 years ago

Jimster,

I could imagine the villagers making an economic decision about eating the fish against the protestation of the WHO workers, whether or not it actually happened that way.

When I choose to eat something, I usually have a quick internal dialouge. "Will this taste good? will it be good for me? Will it harm me, and if so when and in what manner?"

If the answer to last question is a .00001 increase in cancer probability 20 years down the road, I may not be very moved by that. Heck I'm already 56 and am likely to die of some other pathology (as the villagers may have thought). Yet it's something I'd want to be aware of if I was choosing meals for my family.

The best we can do it about risk is make informed choices, and everyone's choice is personal.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

zbach, I think that's sorta my point about the "both sides" information on the www. Your last line. I think sometimes it's hard to decifer which infomation is the one that gives you the most information.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I don't know the situation of the villagers mentioned, but I would think that if you're hungry enough, a possible consequence is less significant than filling the belly now.

Terri, I certainly don't have all the answers. As I understand it, for a long time hatchery salmon were regarded as the "salvation" of declining wild stocks. The advantage of hatchery salmon is the numbers can be kept up (or even increased) without removing dams, reducing logging (because when trees are logged near streams the temperature goes up and heavy rains cause mudslides) or taking any number of other measures which are costly and detrimental to one group or another.

It took time to recognize that hatchery salmon were not an unmixed blessing. The big thing for me is they weaken an already depleted stock; maybe more of an issue is that hatchery salmon make us complacement. We see the numbers and think there's no problem. The term conservation groups use is "artificial abundance."

But that doesn't mean all the hatcheries should be blown up! They have a role in the restoration and maintenance of salmon stocks, if some of their deficiencies can be corrected. For more on hatchery reform check the link.

That might be something some of the teachers would be interested in as a learning tool.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Trout Unlimited on Hatchery Reform

• spacific
    16 years ago

It's such a tough call for me regarding all seafood. I try to use the seafood guide by Monterey Bay Aquarium as Jessica noted. My preference would always be wild salmon because of what is fed to salmon in farmed operations.

But overall, there are three books that have deeply impacted our family's eating habits are: "Song for the Blue Ocean" by Carl Safina, "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan, and "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver.

A weird world we live in, when you have to research every bite of food you put in your mouth.

Ann

• denise8101214
    16 years ago

**************BREAKING NEWS*******************************

Jessica's internet is DOWN. She is rabid to get back to this discussion but CAN'T. This might be a nice opportunity to talk about her. Use your own best judgment.

*********We now return you to your regular food fight************

• jessyf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Denise you are such a trouble maker. (grin).

They told us our phones and net wouldn't be up until the weekend. The kids were terrified. So was I....luckily we had both at 4:00AM. ~whew !

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

Well, damn. Looks like I may have to stop eating my Scottish organic salmon. Ignorance was bliss.
    If any of you know something that contradicts the stuff in the link, please tell me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Guide - organic Scottish salmon

• fenworth
    16 years ago

"reminds me of folks who don't drink milk or give it to their kids because of some of the problems with milk. Overlooking the fact that the calcium and protein benefits outweigh the cons. That may or may not apply here."

Jessy - I'm not sure how to read that, since I doubt that you would have started this thread if you didn't think that salmon safety might be a significant concern.

• bunnyman
    16 years ago

I would eat the wild over farmed just because I think in a couple years there won't be any wild salmon for most people. Enjoy now as tomorrow it will be gone.

: )
    lyra

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Darn it, I missed the chance to talk about Jessica while she wasn't here. Shoot.....(grin)

Unfortunately, Lyra, I agree. I would love to follow the "old ways" which say that when you are making an environmental decision you choose not only how you impact your world, but how you impact it 7 generations into the future. The elders were wiser than we knew.

Annie

• jessyf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

James/fenworth (how should I address you?!?): that statement indicates that I'm keeping an open mind. Even though farmed salmon can be considered evil enough for me to avoid it, I recognize that the omega fats, PCB laden or not, may be of more benefit. Yes I started a discussion because I'm concerned about safety but I too don't want to follow blindly. Even though its easier.

Alas because of what Lyra said I'm avoiding wild. If I don't eat it, MAYBE it WILL be here tomorrow. Yeah right and there is a tooth fairy around here somewhere. Sigh.

For now I'm off wild AND farmed. If it comes served to me on a plate at a function, I'll eat it (with relish!) because it would otherwise go in the trash, even more of a waste.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I love this issue because I love fish. Great Lakes fish are my favorties, and people always ask me if I'm concerned about the toxins. Yes I am, but then I'm concerned in general about the environment, I've spent my life studying it. One of the main reasons I'm such and enviro is I think we're in danger of messing with the earth's ability to feed us in a high quality way. I'm lucky enough to have experienced wild gathered and home grown foods. I guess if you've never had it you won't miss it, which is the same way it goes with a lot of nature's pleasures. Anyway, I told my friends that I eat Big Lake fish as often as I can, because, "As goes my Lake, so go I." Having said that, I would never eat the perch my dad gets out of White Lake, one of the most polluted lakes in the country. I did a research paper on it in college, I know too much about it. I grew up swimming in that lake, which will happen nevermore.

This is a very complex issues. Salmon isn't the only fishery that is collapsing, we're going to see so many wild food sources collapse in this new millenium. (Not deer though!!!) Hence the market for farmed fish. Some operations are run well, some OK, some poorly. Fish farms can be a dreadful source of pollution, just like feedlots. It's a faustian bargain. As with everything, there's economic pressure to do things on the cheap and chuck the problems on to the next guy down the road or the next generation.

Know where your food comes from!!!

• jimster
    16 years ago

Sorry, I haven't held up my end of the conversation. After hours of surfing, I was a little burnt out on the topic and couldn't put my thoughts together clearly and concisely.

But don't worry. We aren't finished with this.

Jim

• jessyf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim, I so totally get that! I knew you weren't done (grin).

• cooksnsews
    16 years ago

I almost hate to bring this up in the presence of such august foodies, but the easiest and cheapest source of wild salmon for many of us is out of a can. True, it's very difficult to barbecue, but in my home we buzz it in the blender, skin, bones and all, with some chopped onion, seasoning, and whatever salad dressing is handy. Makes a very quick, easy, and tasty sandwich fill or salad topping, and features all the nutritional advantages of fresh, with fewer of the political/environmental issues.

I'm a mid-continental type, from the heart of cattle country. Fresh seafood is for occasional coastal vacations, while steak is for grilling!

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I absolutely concur on the nutritional advantages of canned salmon, but I just don't see how there are fewer "political/environmental issues."

Unless canned salmon comes from something other than salmon, the "issues" are the same. The only difference is it's pre-cooked and in a container.

Carol

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Boy, eating fish sure can be complicated. It sounds like being vegetarian makes life a lot simpler. (Well, not really - it seems food consumption is getting more and more complicated all the time these days, if one wants to eat responsibly.)

Anyway, I'm joining this conversation late, but I read in Michael Pollan's book, the Omnivore's Dilemma, (or was it his latest book - well one of his books) that farmed salmon are fed a diet similar to that forced on feed lot fed animals. The problem with this is it actually changes the salmon's body chemistry or make up so that it's much less healthy to eat, just like feed lot cattle are much less healthy to eat than 100% pasture raised cattle. I don't have the book in front of me, so I'm afraid I'm going on memory of something I read several months ago, but just in case you wanted more complications added to your decision about whether to eat salmon, and which kind of salmon to eat, and where it should have come from, I thought I'd help you out.

I just read the Eating Well article, and the author didn't touch on this aspect of farm raised salmon, which I think is interesting. The author seemed to think that farm raised salmon didn't suffer in the omega 3 content, but Michael Pollan said the farm raised salmon had much less omega 3, and had more of the fats that are bad for you. I suspect that farm raised salmon that are fed an unnatural diet can't be as healthy to eat, even discounting the pollution aspect, as wild raised salmon. "You are," to paraphrase Pollan, "what you eat, and what it eats, too."

Sally

• spacific
    16 years ago

On the Seafood Watch Guide, Alaska wild salmon is on the best choices. The Marine Stewardship Council is another source for finding out if a fish is certified sustainable.

Jessy... our Trader Joes has Alaska wild salmon this week. I bought some yesterday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marine Stewardship Council

• cooksnsews
    16 years ago

Well, I didn't say there are no "issues" with canned fish, just fewer of them.

Salmon can be harvested and canned in remote areas where populations may be more stable. Once processed, it requires much less energy inputs to get it to market because it is not perishable. And in my family anyways, a satisfying serving size is considerably smaller than one would want if a fresh baked fillet was placed before us.

• jimster
    16 years ago

This is complicated. Maybe we should just discuss brownie recipes. In lieu of that, let's just for now try to focus on two aspects of the question, food quality and conservation.

Wasn't there someone who, early in the discussion, cited a large study published in Science magazine? I can't find that post now but the study is the most important one I am aware of. The full text can't be accessed at the Science web site without subscribing. It is available elsewhere on the web.

The study sampled and compared wild and farmed salmon from many regions around the world. The level of PCBs and other dangerous substances was found to be "significantly" higher in farmed salmon. The word "significant", when used in this sort of document is understood to mean statistically significant, which is not the same as the every day usage. Statistical significance means that a difference between two samples can be proven mathematically at a certain criterion. It does not mean the difference is important. If I sprinkle 2 grains of salt on my order of fries and you sprinkle 4, the difference obviously is statistically significant. But is it important? Neither one is enough salt to affect the taste at all. Significant but not important.

The study found, at some locations, levels of certain toxins at 10 or so parts per billion. At those levels, differences of say, 4 parts per billion would be significant. But important? FDA standards allow hundreds of times that concentration.

But that is not the end of the controversy. Some, including the authors of the study, prefer the standards of the EPA over those of the FDA. EPA standards are much stricter. This is where science and politics collide. One might think that the "Food" and Drug Administration would take precedence over the "Environmental" Protection Administration in the matter of food safety. But that would be too simple.

I have to observe that, although the importance to science of a "not statistically significant" finding is equal to, often greater than, one of "statistically significant". The importance in press releases is not. Everyone wants the results of their work to be "significant".

Well, that is the health issue in a nutshell, a very small nutshell. The conservation issue is more difficult.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Global Assessment of Organic Contaminants in Farmed Salmon

• jimster
    16 years ago

Here is a review of Review of the study, "Global Assessment of Organic Contaminants in Farmed Salmon". Perhaps the authors of the study would disagree with Dr. Santerre's conclusions, but it is a thought provoking review.

Jim